Dog Killed My Favorite Cat in An Instant | What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not gonna watch the entire video because I think the basics were covered in the first few minutes. I don't think that GSD is feeling remorse at all. I think she's picking up her owner's vibe through his tone of voice and other body language that says he's disappointed with her. I agree with @Gadsden this is a person problem more than a GSD problem.

In my opinion, it's common sense that large dogs that are generally bred for protection have the ability to kill/maim other animals or even people. I've had several JRTs and, pound for pound, they're one of the most efficient killers of small furry creatures on the planet.

I've never had a dog that was aggressive towards people. But almost every JRT I've owned has had a natural tendency to hunt and kill. You can train away certain behaviors but not completely. Large dogs are still very capable of being aggressive, sometimes for reasons only the dog knows.

My son in AK has a heeler that's very aggressive with strangers. I spent a week there in June and the dog wound up biting me on the foot. Not really a serious bite but it wasn't pleasant, either. It could be a real problem when that dog bites the wrong person. I really worry about what that dog is capable of.
I love the natural instinct to protect family that GSD's and similar breeds have. Our dogs have never hurt anyone or anything and when we take them to the dog park they run and play with all the other dogs regardless of their size or if the playing gets rough. On the other hand they can sense when something isn't right and react accordingly.

A few years ago my wife had taken one our male GSD's out to the park when a man started approaching her from the other direction. Kona sensed something and moved from his heal position to in front of my wife and immediately sat down and stared at the guy as if to say, c'mon, I dare you. She said the guy took one look and went off in another direction. Kona had never done anything like that before and he had gone on lots of walks were it was just the two of them.

But truth be told there are some dogs who, for some reason, have a natural tendency to bite and for whatever reason that urge can't be broken, but I think those are isolated cases and the majority of problems stem from the owners. Heck, truth be told the 'meanest' dogs I have come across are the ankle biters. Granted they don't do much damage, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've been bitten by some chihuahua or some other little runt on four legs when responding to someone's home.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But truth be told there are some dogs who, for some reason, have a natural tendency to bite and for whatever reason that urge can't be broken, but I think those are isolated cases and the majority of problems stem from the owners.
Mike Ritland, a former SEAL who trains military and police dogs and runs a rescue for them, has said the same thing about the dogs he trains and rescues; some of them have the instinct to bite and some just don't, and you don't know which is which until you try to train them. That's also a reason why he doesn't adopt out the dogs in his rescue and why he recommends against adopting military working dogs--they have that instinct to attack, and it has been reinforced through training, so even if you could've trained it out of them, that ship sailed long ago.

I think the biggest problem the guy in the video has is that the behavior is either happening while she's away from him or while he can't do anything about it (he mentions her doing it to rodents and rabbits while he's mowing or cutting hay). Dogs have no way of connecting what's happening now with past events; although this is a behavior that might be correctable, if he can't catch her in the act, he can't do anything to correct it. I just don't know what you can do about that.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the guy is full of ****!

Most any dog can be trained to act or not act. A Dog that will kill when needed is the dog a guy wants on a Farm. My whole life on the Farm we had Chickens and cats. New dogs were taught not to mess with them, some even killed after being taught, they got another training lesson and most 98% of them lived a producing working life with us. We did not keep dogs as pets, they were equipment just like a tractor, truck etc etc. Now on the “not as pets” yes they were petted and such but they had a job to do first. The ones that did not learn and was grown were usually adult dogs that fit the definition of “Cannot teach an old dog new tricks” They were put down. Dumped dogs had to be tough to wonder onto our place. If the pack of Healers did not kill them, we had to if they were not worth their keep.

My dog is the most gentle loving dog around kids & adults. He would not bite a soul UNLESS you come into his Yard that is his JOB. You won’t want to try getting in the Car or Truck with him in it as well, that is his JOB too. When it comes to adult males he will smell them, let them pet him a few times and then will not go back around them. He was trained to do this.

He will instantly kill any vermin and this includes cats, again his JOB. He was taught to do so. As well as he was taught not to do so when I tell him no. Just a week back he and I happened onto a old Possum that would not last another winter, he went ape **** barking and looking at me, I said no, let’s let him live he is old. He left him alone.

Dogs are exactly like Kids, you train them and you have a great companion, you don’t then a dog will and can be just like any teenager that is spoiled and not made to mind they become piece of **** to be around and cause trouble.

The guy in the video wants pets on a farm. My he needs a couple of Pomeranians or Poodles.
Off my soap box.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here. When we were in college, we got a 3/4 australian shepherd 1/4 border collie pup, and he was a sweet friendly dog that loved everyone. When we bought our place first place, we had an elderly neighbor with chickens, and after a while, my dog started randomly coming home with a dead one. I tried everything to break him from killing chickens to no avail, and he ended up getting lead poisoning.
My current dogs are scared of my cats, so the situation in the video is a moot point. However, I would have no problem administering a lethal dose of lead if one of my animals harmed a person or another animal.
I had a Rottweiler and he was a cat killer. Otherwise a very trustworthy dog but I was going through barn cats fast between yotes, owls, and my Rott. I brought home 3 kittens and made an outdoor shelter to let them get bigger before they got out and roamed. One day I came home and my Rott had killed one that had gotten out. I took some duct tape and taped the dead cat under his chin around the neck and made him wear that all day in the summer heat. By the end of the day he had clawed at that cat trying to get it off to the point the cats head was clawed off. I removed the tape and the cat and from that day forward, if a cat got within 10' of my Rott, he got up and moved away. The same dog used to chew water hoses into short pieces. I took a 2' piece, put it crossways in his mouth and taped him muzzle shut where he could still breath of course, 20 minutes later I removed it after watching him trying so hard to get it out of his mouth. I think removing the tape was the worst part for him but he never chewed another hose.

Works with chickens also, guaranteed.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What does Cesar Millan say?
cesarmillan.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom