Egg thief relocated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad went to gather eggs yesterday evening, only saved 1 instead of getting the usual 4 or 5. This beast was in the process of getting its mouth over the last egg when my dad intervened. Of couse my dad won't catch it, he just pokes at it with a stick until it left.
image000000.jpg

So this morning I went to check the coop & found the perpetrator again. I caught the beast & its friend, & relocated them about 5 miles away at a creek (with water & frogs & I'm sure some mice & rats)

20220512_083130.jpg

The smaller friend snake was just over 3 ft in length & this one was well over 5 ft & fat.
20220512_083105_HDR.jpg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad went to gather eggs yesterday evening, only saved 1 instead of getting the usual 4 or 5. This beast was in the process of getting its mouth over the last egg when my dad intervened. Of couse my dad won't catch it, he just pokes at it with a stick until it left. View attachment 271991

So this morning I went to check the coop & found the perpetrator again. I caught the beast & its friend, & relocated them about 5 miles away at a creek (with water & frogs & I'm sure some mice & rats)

View attachment 272061
The smaller friend snake was just over 3 ft in length & this one was well over 5 ft & fat.View attachment 272063
If I had chickens and I found a snake eating my eggs that would’ve been a dead snake. That was mighty nice of you relocating them. I’m not particularly fond of snakes.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've become a real softie towards animals in my older age. Hell...unless it's something dangerous I'll scoop spiders I find in the house up in a cup and take them outside. I rarely kill animals...especially if their only offense is doing what nature makes them do. Rattlesnakes and yellow jackets are an exception (as are many annoying insects like flies and mosquitoes). If I find a rattlesnake anywhere near my house or even on my property, I'll shoot it. I can't risk my wife or dog getting bit. Yellow jackets must all die. Aside from that, I don't just kill anything for the sake of killing it. I believe most animal life, regardless of how small, has value. I'll stop on the road (if it's safe, of course) to help a turtle across, for crying out load.

I do NOT share the same feelings for many people...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yellow jackets hanging by the garage door.
She just had her first young one so now miss waspie has a friend..Soon there will be a dozen or more of them hanging right where I go in and out every day.
I leave them there if they leave me alone and this has been good for a few years.
I have watched them in the veggie garden getting bugs and transferring pollen as they go from plant to plant.

I have relocated a few snakes and some opossums.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like any critter if it is used to the contact by humans it will become docile.
But if it never has human presence it will usually defend the territory.

Those hidden nests get a killing by me if I find them agressive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom