Email I sent to State Senator Sykes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upon reading this thread I am thinking " Self, what if said badge or id was to be break off And I did not know it what then"? Also what if someone was to get a hold of said ID and now they have your home address and they also know you are a gun owner?

Considering that sicheeashun... my self would say to your self, "Hey! My name is self too!"

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr. Sykes,

My name is JD Gabbard, and I must admit that I am not one of your constituents. However, I am a citizen, veteran, a father, and a student of higher learning in our Great State. And, I am a supporter of your Bill 1733 that was signed into law by Governor Fallin this year. I believe that this change to the law was something that was needed for a long time. And I commend you for your efforts in getting this signed into law.

I contact you about this, rather than my own representation, because honestly I think you could possibly be the most capable of deciding whether this is a change that could or should be pursued. As I'm sure you're aware, there is a bit of concern among those who would openly carry, such as myself, about harassment from both officers of the law and the populace. This presents issues when the citizenry decide to openly carry. Will they have citizens calling the police reporting them as a armed individual? Will the police respond and harass the individual, or worse act with aggression due to there being an armed citizen? And many other questions I'm sure you've heard over and over.

Now one may ask him/herself, "Self, how can the citizens and police identify who may or may not be a threat without imposing unnecessary limitations on the rights and freedoms of the individual?" Well, I have an idea that may answer some of those questions.

Off duty police officers and officers who do not wear standard uniforms tend to have a way of identifying themselves without having to dig in their pockets to present an immediate for of identification, which could be taken as a threatening act. They typically wear a badge clipped onto their belt, identifying themselves as a person who is allowed to have the weapon. And that is what I suggest, a way for people to determine that this is someone that is legal to carry. It doesn't have to be a badge, although if it was it would need to be of a style that doesn't suggest that the person is an officer of the law; as that could be construed as impersonation of an officer of the law. And obviously whether or not these would be required to be worn, or how they were to be worn, would need to be ironed out. As well as whether or not the current fees for the licensing would be ample to fund any such identification.

Please note that this is only an idea I've been thinking about for some time. I'm simply pitching the idea to you for consideration. I appreciate your time, and your service to our great state.

-JD Gabbard.

This is how the 911 MWAG call should go:

Dispatch: 911, what is your emergency?
Caller: There is a guy here with a gun!!
Dispatch: Can you see what the person is doing?
Caller: Yes, he is putting eggs in a grocery cart.
Dispatch: Is he holding the gun in his hand?
Caller: No, he is just wearing it on his hip.
Dispatch: I'm sorry sir/ma'am, open carry is legal in Oklahoma. If the person in question is not endangering anyone, there is no crime being committed and nothing for us to do. Have a nice day. *click*

Problem solved, no officer response needed.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dispatch: Is he wearing a cape?
Caller: Yes he is.

Dispatch: I'm sorry sir/ma'am, open carry is legal in Oklahoma. If the person in question is not endangering anyone, there is no crime being committed and nothing for us to do. Have a nice day. *click*

This is way more awesome.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, but he looks wierd, I am afraid for my saftey,

I feel threatened, I want him removed right now.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how petitioning for another way to identify as being a legal carrier is better than expecting the civil servants to do their job without infringing on our rights. That said, I've talked to quite a few officers around here and most of them aren't concerned in the slightest. It seems as though they are of the opinion that someone openly carrying a firearm isn't trying to "hide" or "get away" with anything, and they will only question them if they are doing something wrong. Now, when it comes to printing or inadvertently exposing a CCW, well they will check.

This is the reason why I intend on open carrying often.

Why on earth would you want to put it into the mind of a politician that another form of ID might be a good idea, required or not?

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, but he looks wierd, I am afraid for my saftey,

I feel threatened, I want him removed right now.

First, let me say that even I am amazed by the jokes with the starting of this thread. I even laughed a little myself. Now back to the subject. I agree that there shouldn't be anything a citizen should have to do to carry openly and not have to explain it to the public or the police. But lets be real, this IS the 21st century, and its always going to be intimidating to the public and most likely viewed as a possible threat to those in law enforcement. Whether they support the right to carry or not, they are not going to know for sure the intentions of someone carrying. Not that it is their business, but the safety of themselves and the public is. And whether or not we agree with that, it is the truth. Having said that, lets be honest. If people see you carrying, they are going to call the police. The police ARE going to show up, and they are not going to know whether or not you are licensed by the state to carry. Its been demonstrated, it is a fact. This idea does save time, and also lets those who may come in proximity to you know that you're probably not a "bad-guy."

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, let me say that even I am amazed by the jokes with the starting of this thread. I even laughed a little myself. Now back to the subject. I agree that there shouldn't be anything a citizen should have to do to carry openly and not have to explain it to the public or the police. But lets be real, this IS the 21st century, and its always going to be intimidating to the public and most likely viewed as a possible threat to those in law enforcement. Whether they support the right to carry or not, they are not going to know for sure the intentions of someone carrying. Not that it is their business, but the safety of themselves and the public is. And whether or not we agree with that, it is the truth. Having said that, lets be honest. If people see you carrying, they are going to call the police. The police ARE going to show up, and they are not going to know whether or not you are licensed by the state to carry. Its been demonstrated, it is a fact. This idea does save time, and also lets those who may come in proximity to you know that you're probably not a "bad-guy."

In some locations in MO, the 911 dispatchers do exactly as I suggested. No LEO is dispatched. The police have have no right to question you unless they have reasonable suspicion a law has been broken. I don't get why some people think I need to jump through more hoops to exercise my right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom