Enfield Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Does anybody have recommendations on places I may be able to purchase Enfield magazines?

2. How do I determine what caliber an Enfield is chambered in? The one I'm talking about had weird markings that read 7.62 x ?????, may not have been 7.62 but it was a number like that. Definitely wasn't something I'd seen on an Enfield before, I have only seen 303's up close. I know 308s (was told those are Indian rifles) are out there but I haven't handled one.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's stamped 7.62 - it is converted to 7.62x51 NATO (aka .308).

Magazines on Enfields were never meant to be removed but for cleaning.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R5kksc_VGTo/SqafxNwKsAI/AAAAAAAAAPM/ImflytRZWVc/s1600-h/IMG_2998.jpg

303 brit, 30-06, 7.62x51, 5.56x45

Thanks for the 7.62 = .308 info

But I don't think I agree with your observation regarding removable magazines. I have a No.4 MK1 in .303 and it just take the squeeze of a tab to drop the mag, I'm pretty sure they intended for the magazines to be dropped and another reloaded for the model I own.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the 7.62 = .308 info

But I don't think I agree with your observation regarding removable magazines. I have a No.4 MK1 in .303 and it just take the squeeze of a tab to drop the mag, I'm pretty sure they intended for the magazines to be dropped and another reloaded for the model I own.

While that seems logical, it wasn't the military mindset at the time. Talk to some Canadian vets, the were given one mag only. Ever. They were given stripper clips for reloading.

Jpt

chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, from what I experienced, the magazines are touchy and required proper fitting from a gunsmith for reliable operation. Early models of the Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield even used a short length of chain to secure the magazine to the rifle as in the picture below:

[Broken External Image]

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you may have an old israeli conversion, those were nice. hadn't seen any lately, just the indian. Enfields were designed to be loaded by a stripper, and am told that the guys who used to do it got dang fast at it. The enfield is one of the smoothest actions out there, certainly for the era. Proven battle rifle, that was used by many nations for long years after wwII. Wish there was more of the old milsurp ammo cheap like it used to be. Hard hitting round, especially with those steel butted surplus rifles.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As originally designed by James Lee, multiple magazines were to be issued, but in actual fact only one was and it was reloaded with stripper clips.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Mk 3 SMLE manufactured in 1912, and I agree with the smoothness of the bolt, but I'm also gonna say that it looks to me like they meant for the mags to be switched out.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As originally designed by James Lee, multiple magazines were to be issued, but in actual fact only one was and it was reloaded with stripper clips.

I don't know about he intentions of admirable James Lee, but as far as SMLE goes - no way! you can't handle loaded magazine ... rounds fall out of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom