Ever had your vehicle broken into while at a Dealership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least the $h1t bags took the time to remove the dash panel and didn't just break stuff like they usually do.

Ha! I know. I'm honestly not as upset as I think I should be. My dad has always said, "It's just money; we'll make more." And you're so correct: I didn't have to replace any trim panels or screws or anything. Just a head unit (Avic-X940), Passport detector and the SmartWire for the Passport (hard wired to the left of the mirror). Most of the wires behind the unit were still there. It was kind of tricky rewiring it since I didn't originally do it, but nothing I couldn't figure out with a volt meter.

And at least they didn't take the whole car (though it's push-button start located above the CD player and the "start" wires at the ignition are dead, so that would have confused them. Haha)

All in all, it could have been worse, I'm happy it wasn't.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come to find out, the dealership has been having issues with entire cars being stolen. In any case, I DO NOT recommend going to that dealership! I wish I would have known they were having theft issues beforehand.

Diffee Ford in El Reno, OK.

In all fairness, I would suspect that EVERY dealership has issues with cars being stolen.

Personally, we have been dealing with Diffee Ford for over 15 years and have always had good service and good deals. I ALWAYS recommend them when folks are looking for vehicles. They are a dealership with a very good reputation with a lot of people as customers and as a dealership they are fair to everyone, to the point that a lot of their salespeople have been there for years. Back in the late '80's, I worked as a car salesman for a few months. Just long enough to learn that salesmen tended to change from one dealership to others more often than I change my oil.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In all fairness, I would suspect that EVERY dealership has issues with cars being stolen.

Personally, we have been dealing with Diffee Ford for over 15 years and have always had good service and good deals. I ALWAYS recommend them when folks are looking for vehicles. They are a dealership with a very good reputation with a lot of people as customers and as a dealership they are fair to everyone, to the point that a lot of their salespeople have been there for years. Back in the late '80's, I worked as a car salesman for a few months. Just long enough to learn that salesmen tended to change from one dealership to others more often than I change my oil.

Point taken. I'm sure lots of people have great experiences with them since they are such a large dealership. Still, I'm disappointed that there was literally no attempt by anyone there to provide any degree of customer satisfaction in response to the break-in. I have been around long enough to know that, if customer satisfaction is valuable, then even something small makes a world of difference.

For example, "We're really sorry this happened. How about we fix the $3 fuse for you free of charge?" instead of charging me $240. Like I said, it costs the dealership $3 for the fuse, and maybe $25 for the 15min it took the mechanic to find it. My bill to the dealership would have been $610-240=$370, and they would not have been losing money and still gaining a happier customer who could attest to their value of customer satisfaction.

That's just an example. In any case, I'm NOT satisfied with their service, I won't personally recommend them to anyone, and I'm just disappointed there was literally NOTHING done in the way of customer service. Maybe I'm expecting too much....

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I have had that happen in Texas. Story still makes me mad a little but one part is pretty funny (I think anyway) now. They had my keys and so they had "Care & Custody Control." They paid my insurance deductible. I however did not have a good expierence with the police. I knew it was an inside job. It was the one and only time I have been interrogated. Thats right the detective interrogated me for 5 hours one polygraph etc. I was so upset and at one time I dared him to arrest me and my attorney would eat him up if he did. My attorney friend latter told me that I should not have done that. Detectives also get upset when you ask them if you can talk to someone who actually wants to solve the case. At least now I can laugh a little. No, I was not a preacher at the time. The story does have some other funny parts but I will let you wonder for now. "Care of Custody and Control" is the term you are looking to find.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With them having on-site security there is a "reasonable expectation of security". I am not a legal expert but I would expect the dealership to take some ownership of the situation. If your car had not been parked there (due to no fault of yours or theirs) than your car would not have been broken into. The fact that you were told that there was on-site security increased the likelihood that you would feel safe leaving your vehicle there until it could be repaired.

That being said is it worth finding an attorney to take them to court? Probably not.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diffee Ford overall maybe a great dealership, but they have some shady mechanics!!

I was looking at a Volvo they had a few years ago for sale on their used lot. Took it for a test drive back to Edmond for the wife to look at and to take it to Volvo mechanic to look over for me. When I went back to pick it up from the mechanic he informed me that one of diffees mechanics had brought it in about a week before to diagnose a check engine light. The ran it, told them what the problem was and what it would cost to fix it, mechanic asked them to just reset the light. They did, and told them that the light would just come right back on. He told me that apparently they pulled the gauge cluster removed the check engine light bulb and drilled out and filled the slot with black silicone!! I went back in showed all the needed repairs to Cort Diffee and told him what the mechanic told me. He said there was no way one of his guys would do that. I showed him the records of them taking it to the same mechanic and the notes made by them, told him he couldn't legally sell it without disclosing this now known information. Made him an offer that was 8k less than what they were asking for the car and said I would sign a disclosure about the check engine light. He declined, I left him my number and told him if he changed his mind to call me. Called me two days later an informed me that I was indeed correct about everything I had said and that they would accept my offer for the car. Mechanic was written up for the check engine light, but not fired.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On filling an insurance claim you probably won't be covered for the loss of the radar detector. Read your policy about devices that are solely controlled by a power source from a vehicle. As for the stereo and the window those should be covered less your deductible as a comprehensive claim.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come to find out, the dealership has been having issues with entire cars being stolen. In any case, I DO NOT recommend going to that dealership! I wish I would have known they were having theft issues beforehand.

Diffee Ford in El Reno, OK.

Well no crap they have problems there. It's El Reno which is Spanish for "The Crapper".

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'm not an attorney, I would guess that you are completely out of luck with regards to legal actions since your vehicle was never "logged in" with a service request to the dealership.

I remember years ago when I worked at a "major national electronics brand" store that sold car alarms. A guy came in wanting to buy an alarm because someone stole a $2000 stereo out of his vehicle. We went out to look at what options were needed for sensors and I saw that he had one of those soft-top Suzuki's Samurai. I told him that even if he did put an alarm with door sensors, it would be useless because all anyone had to do was cut the top and get in.

I figure that the stereo he lost was worth more than his whole vehicle.

I never go with anything other than stock radios and I've never been broken into.

This is correct, but even if it's checked into service the dealership is not responsible. It's in the fine print at the bottom of the paper work, or posted on the walls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom