Ever have a day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in a prison around the bottom feeders of our F-ed up society. Do I get tired of it and look for another option... Damn skippy. Every freaking day. My dilemma is that I have less than 5 yrs. remaining before I can retire at the ripe old age of 44. So, I can't just "do something else". It would financially retarded. So, I live for the weekends and evenings with my boy. The rest I can live without. When time comes, I'm out and going to do something I want for a change... Either open a gun/gunsmith shop or maybe even go back for a masters degree or go to law school... Not sure yet.

I feel for you, I had some family members that worked for D.O.C. and damn, talk about a job that wears you down. You can do 5 years in your sleep though!

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two weeks of full time school with a drill weekend sandwiched in between.... Yeah, I've had one or two of those days lately. It's all good though, this weekend is here and I'm going to be worthless. Besides, how will the Sooners ever prevail over the Golden Hurricane if I'm not there to cheer for them?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alaska in the summer, bumming around the Carib in the winter.
Yeah, I could do that.

I've never been to the Carib, but Alaska on the other hand... And no, it ain't fingers.. I love Alaska untill it starts getting cold and icy..
JB, I spent the last half of my corporate career wondering if I was going to hold on long enough to collect my retirement. If I hadn't put everything I could in savings and 401K, I'd still be there fighting the system.. Hang in there, ya got friends.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm a little ahead of the game. I've been great about maxing out retirement, buying nice rental homes, running with very little consumer debt (if any), and generally trying to be a responsible person when it comes to finance. I have managed to avoid all the BS I have seen entrap other lawyers. Don't have a boat. Don't have a lake house. Although I have a very nice home, I could have got a lot more house. I don't belong to a country club (never wanted to pay to have friends). Never could stand people who thought they were better than others, or made money and so-called "Social status" their god. I've always just wanted to have a good time and enjoy my life and the outdoors.

Everyday, I thank God that things are good. I appreciate my staff and am very grateful for my clients. It's just sometimes, the sheer stupidity and/or immaturity of some of the things I encounter makes me sick. And what's even worse is that a lot of it is just so unnecessary.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been to the Carib 21 times of the 24 years we've been married. Alaska twice. I'm lovin' Alaska.

The first few times we went to the Carib, it was to the touristy areas. Now, we just get a vehicle, and hit the local spots and do what we can to assimilate into the local population for the short time we're there. Pay a fisherman to take us to an isolated island or beach only available by boat. Shop and eat from local eateries or grocery stores. We've smoked fresh fish on the beach wrapped in ocean grape leaves over palm wood, etc. I'd love to get a sailboat big enough to have a cabin, and sail the chain of islands. There are hundreds that are uninhabited.

Alaska? That is the most impressive place I've ever been to. First time was a cruise, second time was a guided land excursion. Next year, we are on our own doing it the way we want to.

I work mega overtime. The extra goes into the trip account.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must go with cabin in woods with wrap around porch.

I have been fired from 2 jobs for fighting.
I have only had 4 real jobs...And i will fight again if pushed.
Bunch of crybabies and tattle tales,, they think their mouths can't be shut up..
I will shut them up..
Then if they send me to jail.. i will get out...and i will not let them get up the second time. or be found EVER!

Something like that..makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I have a list of names ..when i get a life threatening illness i will go through my list.

just make a mental list..then collect when you are on death's door.
No i do not carry ..they may ,, but i will collect with my bare hands..
I feel better just thinking about it..AAAAHHHH!!!!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sitka or Petersburg Alaska would be the perfect retirement communities. Not so isolated that you can't get out if you wanted to but isolated enough that you don't have to worry about the zombies showin' up at your door. And the scenic and natural beauty is beyond compare. Very mild winters due to the maritime climates.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sitka or Petersburg Alaska would be the perfect retirement communities. Not so isolated that you can't get out if you wanted to but isolated enough that you don't have to worry about the zombies showin' up at your door. And the scenic and natural beauty is beyond compare. Very mild winters due to the maritime climates.

**Note to self to check with GC about having OLERS send checks WAY north ... :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom