Ever have a day...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sitka or Petersburg Alaska would be the perfect retirement communities. Not so isolated that you can't get out if you wanted to but isolated enough that you don't have to worry about the zombies showin' up at your door. And the scenic and natural beauty is beyond compare. Very mild winters due to the maritime climates.

My wife keeps looking at the TV program "buying Alaska". The winter snows and temps are the only thing keeping her from wanting to move there permanently. I could care less. Trapping, hunting and fishing would be incredible.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes I do feel like just selling everything Im involved in and totally checking out, but we have 2 more years with the last kid to get out of the house and into college before we can do anything. I can dream.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife keeps looking at the TV program "buying Alaska". The winter snows and temps are the only thing keeping her from wanting to move there permanently. I could care less. Trapping, hunting and fishing would be incredible.

I love that show. Seeing the prices of those little cabins makes me wonder who is subsidizing the real estate up there lol

Sometimes I do feel like just selling everything Im involved in and totally checking out, but we have 2 more years with the last kid to get out of the house and into college before we can do anything. I can dream.

I just had a cousin do exactly that. Sold all his stuff, took his savings/trust fund and a small inheritance and moved to Hawaii. As much as I envy it, being a paradise I love to visit, I just don't think I could survive island life.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love that show. Seeing the prices of those little cabins makes me wonder who is subsidizing the real estate up there lol

I just had a cousin do exactly that. Sold all his stuff, took his savings/trust fund and a small inheritance and moved to Hawaii. As much as I envy it, being a paradise I love to visit, I just don't think I could survive island life.

That's just how much things cost up here. Most people don't realize that the majority of Alaska lands are owned by the Federal government. That makes private property pricey. It starts to get cheaper once you get into the interior and the western part of the State. I'm living in Anchorage and can't afford to buy a house here. Got my eye on some property down on Prince of Wales though.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I watch that show too, and dream. Of all the areas of Alaska that I've lived in the southeast part is my favorite. The older I get the harder it is to take the extreme sub-zero temperatures. I've got my eye on a couple of places down on Prince of Wales Island. Would like to find something that's still got some old growth forest on it like this 12 acre place by Coffman Cove.

http://www.princeofwalesrealty.com/coffman-cove.html

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just how much things cost up here. Most people don't realize that the majority of Alaska lands are owned by the Federal government. That makes private property pricey. It starts to get cheaper once you get into the interior and the western part of the State. I'm living in Anchorage and can't afford to buy a house here. Got my eye on some property down on Prince of Wales though.

That's just insane lol. Then again, I look at real estate in Manhattan all the time as a hobby... Just bewilders me how so little can be so much.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering who I work for and the information that's coming out on what they've actually been doing behind the people's backs? Yeah, that's pretty much every day now. :(

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain.

Every once in a while, I reach my FIP. (F*** it Point). That is the point at which I just want to throw up my hands and yell "F*** It!!!".

And then my staff might hear me mumbling about it being 11 fast hours to the Mexican Border.

I'm not sure, but I keep thinking that I want to open up a combined Dive Shop/Bar and Grill/Bordello on the beach.
Or be the guy who goes out early in the mornings on the beach (well before the tourists with metal detectors) and spread a couple of cans of BBs in the sand.

Then, I'll sit there drinking a few cold beers watching the Metal Detector Guys get coronaries digging in the sand.

Sometimes, I think some of the homeless have it knocked.
No Insurance
No Taxes
No Property worries.
Pick up and go when ever and where ever.

There was a book (wish I could remember the title) that was based on the premise that the walls of the asylum were not built to keep the crazies in.
THEY were the once who had it figured out.
The walls were built to keep the rest of us out.

Dave

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes, you just need a little gratuitously violent FPS Xbox time... Mixed with a little range time. Keeps me centered

No kidding... I need to get a new receiver, for some reason, my Pioneer doesn't work with Xbox360. Nothing else at all wrong with it, but I've tried 3 different Xboxs and it just drops video signal at random times from 30 seconds in to 5-20 minutes in. Absolutely infuriates me, but I can't play on my big-screen without decent sound, either. So I've been Xbox-free now for like... I dunno almost a year. :(

I gotta get a new receiver... of course, then I'll need the new Xbox One.... and new games... and... and... and...

Jeez...

Latest posts

Top Bottom