Exciting evening!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went over to an area that I farm on the Salt Fork River in western Kay county to get in a ladder stand with my back to the river and see if a big buck might come along, I could take with the crossbow. Last year a pipeline company ran a new line across this finger of land between the neighbor and mine. I have the river side. It was heavily wooded, but when they got done they spread hay, and some kind of seed to keep down erosion. I don't know what it is, but it stays green year around, and the deer love it. About 4pm a mature doe and two fawns came down the trail and paused to eat at the base of my stand. They were there for about 10 minutes, when all of a sudden They looked right at me, and bolted in a total panic. WTF?? I was totally still and the wind was in my favor??
All of a sudden I hear what I think is a helicoptor right on top of me. Its snowing pretty hard by this time, and with my hood up, I can't swivel my head up high enough to see what the noise is all about....Its getting louder, MUCH louder! WTF??? It finally gets loud enough that I'm thinking I have one coming down to crash on my stand! (all of this takes place in about 5 seconds)
FINALLY turkey start falling out of the sky right on top of my stand like snow flakes. Some come down so close I had a thought of grabbing one as I could feel the air from their wings, but just froze......They came from across the river, and landed in the clear cut from the pipeline (The neighbors field is 70 acres of soy beans that just got cut before the bl
izzard and has lots of beans left on the ground)

They milled around and I was amazed at how many there were, and were all hens. I heard some more flying, and a group of toms landed among them. None of the toms were very big, and decided to let all of them go and let the games begin for spring season, but then spotted a bearded hen......then another! One had a short beard, but the other was decent. What the heck, I've seen them and some consider them a trophy so with 160 eyes looking around, In ultra-slow motion, finally got turned around and at 22yds, she was looking away from me, and my favorite way to take a turkey with an arrow is to hit it at the base of the neck while walking away from me. I had the shot and in the milisecond between pulling the trigger, the flight of the arrow, and the distance, she turned quartering towards me. The arrow hit the wing, and then went through to almost completely sever the neck off where it comes out of the body. A few flops and it was all over:D:D

The rest of the flock scattered, and then over a 30 minute period, regrouped and marched single file out into the bean field to feed, and I counted 84 birds.:D

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010061.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010062.jpg

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too cool!!!! Man I'm jealous of all your hunting. I hardly have time to go and I have to drive to public land to do it when I do. Keep the pics coming, it's almost as good as being in the woods myself!

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is pretty awesome. That's the thing I always liked about hunting, sometimes you fall into some pretty uncanny situations. That's the good stuff.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean by the "helicopter" sound a turkey on the wing makes. Once while walking through the woods, two or three turkeys flushed from some bushes right next to me and flew off over some low trees. The sudden thunder of their wingbeats just about gave me a coronary :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom