Exemption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40XD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the understanding that i am exempt from the CCL Training because of the following:

6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within twenty (20) years preceding the date of the application for a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the use of handguns;

Normally i would not try and use my Veteran Status to get things but i have been involved in the shooting sport my entire life. So I was just wondering the law says that you COULD be exempt from all or part of the required training and qualification course. can you tell me EXACTLY what i am exempt from and who i can talk to that is close to Altus, OK to get my Certificate of Exemption.

Any help would be great and love the site i just found it this morning and already see myself coming here alot.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can be exempted from the 50-round shooting portion of the course. You do have to take the portion that covers OK law concerning concealed firearms and self-defense. This includes the written test.

I'll let someone else give info on the Altus area as I am not familiar with training opportunities there.

40XD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and i finally confirmed it with one of the instructors in Lawton. was kinda hoping i wouldn't have to take any of the course but o well it is for the greater good :) thx again

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think it is worth the few hours you have to spend to set in on the law portion. I actually learned a few things that I otherwise would have probbly never learned.

I agree, if you have a good instructor they are bound to teach you something new. However the shooting portion of the class is a colossal waste of time for anyone that has ever fired more than about 50 rounds in their life. And I feel like it is completely insufficient for those that are brand new to guns, I really hope some of the folks I went to class with put some time in at the range before they started carrying.

40XD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why did you think you would be exempt from the entire course?

The following individuals may be exempt from all or part of the required training and qualification course established pursuant to the provisions of Section 1290.14 of this title:
1. A firearms instructor registered with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
2. An active duty law enforcement officer of this state or any of its political subdivisions or of the federal government;
3. A retired law enforcement officer authorized by this state pursuant to Section 1289.8 of this title to carry a firearm;
4. A CLEET certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having a CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment;
5. A person on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty who is a legal resident of this state and who is trained and qualified in the use of handguns;
6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within twenty (20) years preceding the date of the application for a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the use of handguns;
7. A person retired as a peace officer in good standing from a law enforcement agency located in another state, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has received training equivalent to the training required for CLEET certification in this state; and
8. Any person who is otherwise deemed qualified for a training exemption by CLEET.

40XD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a Course in Lawton for Mar. 13th. I don't mind taking the course i just thought maybe i might be able to get the CCL sooner than i am. If i didn't have to take the course i would be sending my app in tomorrow but since i do i can't send in till the 14th, which isn't bad but with the 30-90 day wait for the licence just thought i would get a jump on it by a bit. being in the military i learned along time ago Hurry up and wait. thx for all the help

40XD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for the info i talked to an instuctor and he said that the only people COMPLETELY exempt from the course are:
1,2,3,4,7 from the list above

5 and 6 on the list above are only exempt from the Range portion if they have had previous firearms training(Military Law Enforement).

Just thought i would put it out there incase anyone else was wondering

Latest posts

Top Bottom