Who qualifies as a veteran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in it was explained to me that anyone who served for six months or longer (with appropriate type of discharge) was a vet. I can't seem to find any backup for that figure, but it's what I remember.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had never heard anything to the contrary, but I knew there were enough veterans on here with probably every type of veteran category, and would have a correct answer.

Thanks everyone, I’ll pass this on to the fellow.
I had lunch with a couple of friends today, and an interesting question came up. I couldn’t answer it, but I said that I know where I can get a good answer (hopefully).

One fellow was saying that he was not considered a veteran because during his six years in Army Reserve, he was only on active duty for training including annual camp. I said that I am pretty sure that he did not qualify for any benefits, but I thought he was still considered as a veteran.

Any thoughts?
With all the combat veterans around these days, he probably just doesn’t want to take away from those who went over and deployed.
Also I know first hand, that many vet benefits like VA loans are not available to guys who just went reserve. But he’s totally eligible for his 10% off at Lowe’s, etc.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all the combat veterans around these days, he probably just doesn’t want to take away from those who went over and deployed.
Also I know first hand, that many vet benefits like VA loans are not available to guys who just went reserve. But he’s totally eligible for his 10% off at Lowe’s, etc.

Possibly eligible also for the VA home loan benefit.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Veteran. I remember a guy who purposely screwed up and was discharged at six months and he said he didn’t care, he had college benefits. That was his intent, to meet minimum requirements and have the GI Bill.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completed 28+ years in one of the uniformed services (USPHS), retired as an O-6 and have both a DD214 and veteran's ID so I'm a veteran, but I'm not a military or combat vet. I've responded to public health emergencies within the CONUS but nothing overseas, but many USPHS Officers have and continue to do so today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom