Who qualifies as a veteran?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize for starting this thread, it was a simple question from a lunch with a couple of friends. Many of you gave some good information and he was happy to read your thoughts. However, like so often has been happening recently, the are a few that jump into threads and make it into a @#$&$$**& contest.

We have a very good forum here, but it, like much of society, has taken a nose dive recently.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I apologize for starting this thread, it was a simple question from a lunch with a couple of friends. Many of you gave some good information and he was happy to read your thoughts. However, like so often has been happening recently, the are a few that jump into threads and make it into a @#$&$$**& contest.

We have a very good forum here, but it, like much of society, has taken a nose dive recently.
You have nothing to apologize for. Don't sweat it!

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used the Bing AI search to ask "Who is a US military veteran?"
Most concise source seems to be:
https://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/
Bottom line: What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.”

Since there is no time defined for amount of time spent on active duty, I suppose Active Duty for Training (ADT) while in a reserve component would count. I still wonder what one's status had to have been at the time of discharge/release. FWIW, I'd consider the OP's friend a veteran.

I served 23 years and change with 20 years, 1 month active duty.
Must serve at least 180 days. I don't know if that is still true, that was the time needed when I was in the 70s.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you join the military? Did you get an Honorable Discharge? Congratulations, you're a Veteran 🥳🎉

Did you join the military? Are you still in the military? Congratulations, you're a Service Member 🥳🎉

Did you never serve in the military? Congratulations, you aren't a Veteran 🥳🎉

Anything else is above my pay grade 😉

EZHD

Marksman
Reaction score
Anyone who served honorably is a veteran in my book and should be eligible for any available veterans benefits.
Those who served but were released as dishonorable are technically still veterans because they were members of the armed forces. Should they be eligible for veterans benefits of any kind? No. But thats just my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom