Factory Ammo and Accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the difference between the accuracy of Hornady's AMAX and Federal's loading of the Sierra Match King as compared to their, say Core-Lokt or PowerMAX ammo?

I know they use match grade bullets but why are these loads so much more expensive than the Core-Lokt bullet? Is it economies of scale? Are the rounds reloaded on more precise equipment which the customer is in turn paying for?

It seems to me that the cost to the ammo company to produce a match grade bullet and "standard" bullet aren't as great as their retail price would indicate.

What am I missing? For example Hornady's SST bullet is very accurate and is advertised as easily killing deer, elk, and black bear. Why not do away with the "lower end" offerings and tool up to make more of these better loads that would, I would think, in turn drive their price down.

I will add that it seems Hornady doesn't have a "low end" offering. Everything they have is custom this and match that and dangerous game this so kudos to their marketing folks I guess. But you see what I am getting at.

What is that makes the Fed GMM so much more accurate and consistent than their lower end Walmart offerings? I know what the technical difference is, I guess what I am getting at is why don't they apply this knowledge and technology to all their rounds or discontinue some of the "obsolete" ones?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure the projectile costs more but that isn't the sole reason match ammo is as accurate as it is. Uniform match brass costs more money and stricter QC takes more time. The 168gr SMK on top of 41-43 grains of a whole host of powders should get you close to Federal's GMM load.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the stricter QC for the match ammo is what exactly?

I know reloading will get me there for way cheaper. I just think the ammo industry is probably taking advantage of people with the cost of their match ammo offerings. They find that certain powders are more efficient than others for certain calibers, great. Why not use that powder in every loading for that caliber then?

I seriously doubt that wall thickness uniformity in brass plays a significant part in the accuracy of a necked rifle round. I could see increased levels of QC required to hold this, well not really. What I would really be expecting to see is more process waste or rejects, which isn't really QC. You cant inspect quality into a part/product.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want the most in accuracy it takes a lot more work. It doesn't cost much to make something 90% efficient, but each percent after that adds big bucks.

I've never done this, but bench rest shooters weigh each case and divide into lots, weigh each primer and divide into lots, and weigh each bullet and divide into lots. If, and I don't know if they do, ammo companies do this with their match loads, then it adds to the final cost.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never done this, but bench rest shooters weigh each case and divide into lots, weigh each primer and divide into lots, and weigh each bullet and divide into lots. If, and I don't know if they do, ammo companies do this with their match loads, then it adds to the final cost.

I agree that if they did this then it could add substantial cost. I too would be surprised if they did this.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that wall thickness uniformity in brass plays a significant part in the accuracy of a necked rifle round. I could see increased levels of QC required to hold this, well not really. What I would really be expecting to see is more process waste or rejects, which isn't really QC. You cant inspect quality into a part/product.

I have to disagree with you about wall thickness and uniformity. Variations in case neck thickness and wall thickness cause large swings in extreme spread. A 20 FPS extreme spread at 300 yards is about 1 inch in vertical. I have a lot of 308 Remington brass that due to a combination of poorly formed flash holes and large variations in case neck uniformity AND wall thickness exhibits extreme spreads of over 120 fps. The exact same load with match prepped Lapua 308 brass has a roughly 15 FPS extreme spread.

Do the factory match loadings go to this much trouble? I really don't know. I haven't shot enough of it through a chrono to tell. However, brass that exhibits poor uniformity can and will exhibit poor accuracy.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the stricter QC for the match ammo is what exactly?

I know reloading will get me there for way cheaper. I just think the ammo industry is probably taking advantage of people with the cost of their match ammo offerings. They find that certain powders are more efficient than others for certain calibers, great. Why not use that powder in every loading for that caliber then?

Uniform match brass costs money/time/effort. Stricter QC means no production on Mondays/Fridays.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with basically everything listed above I am far from a expert but as for price of bullets everything I have ever messed with for reloading the more expensive the bullet the more accurate it is.
A couple of examples out of a 300 win mag at 100 yards a Horniady SST 180 grain will give me groups of just over a inch a Nosler Accubond 180 grain will give groups just under 3/4 inch and a Nosler balistic tip 165 grain is under 0.6in. Now to 223 a Horniady V-Max 55 grain will give groups of just under a inch and a Serria GameKing will give groups of 0.56 (all groups measured from outside to outside) But it also depends on what you gun likes what length it likes, what powder it likes, and what bullet it likes?

I don't weigh cases and primers and all but I do group cases by brand. My opinion for the best brass is Horniady (on a majorly limited budget) I have some Barnes that is a bunch better but can't afford to buy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom