Factory Ammo - How much seating is too much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've got some old carry loads that I've re-chambered (from taking the mag out and cleaning the gun) a bunch and I know that this can seat bullets too far into the shell-casing and cause higher pressure than desired (especially in +P rounds), but how much is too much?

I've got some Speer Gold Dots that measure (with calipers) 1.126" and I've got some that came out of a mag when I was inspecting that are only 1.122" and one that is 1.121".

Is that too much seating? I've taken the shorter rounds out of the rotation (and yes, I should have shot them off a long time ago just to get some practice/testing with the carry ammo once in a while), but I'm not sure if they're usable anymore or not.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was me, I would shoot 'em in anything that fully supports the case upon firing. (unlike Glock) I wouldn't be very concerned with this small amount of setback even in a Glock. I suspect you won't be able to feel the difference in recoil or notice a change in accuracy.

That's me, but I will be interested in seeing what others who are into reloading say.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would blast them. Not that great of a difference. I also would shoot off the top round every once in a while. No reason not too, 9mm is cheap. Why are you chambering then downloading so often?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
according to the alliant website with a 124gr golddot bullet, the minimum oal is 1.12, those rounds are within spec.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. Normally I'd shoot what was in the mag every so often and replace with new carry ammo. I've had a Category 3 before in a semi-auto that I didn't get out and shoot/clean enough (just enough dust and lent got in there to affect the slide/mag), so every since then I make it a point to shoot what's in the mag (and sometimes the spare) and then clean, function test, reload, and stick it back in the holster.

I've had a spell of several months that I haven't shot this particular gun (Walther PPS), and seeing as how it's a tiny semi-auto, I'm still nervous about function checking it and cleaning/lubing it properly - so I make sure to do that. The ammo ends up going back in afterward if I'm not shooting it, and I've read stories of over-seated bullets and the extreme pressures that can cause.

Definitely appreciate the info and I'll shoot this shorter stuff the next time I make it to the range (which needs to be sooner rather than later).

Latest posts

Top Bottom