Fall (and falls) are coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every year somebody (several somebodies) fall out of deer stands, and down stand ladders. A very close friend broke both legs two years ago at the beginning of bow season when he fell down the ladder of one of my deer stands. It was his own fault, which he freely admits, but he still walks real funny and not very well, and not without a lot of pain. . .

I use stands only during bow hunting and when shooting hogs. When I do use a stand, I use a "Fall Guy" safety setup. Standard harness with the Fallguy strap hooked with a D ring to the harness. The rig works like an inertia seatbelt. Follows you up and down the ladder, and locks up if you even buckle your knees suddenly. Once the reel is hooked to the tree, you are okay going up, sitting, and going down. You leave it in place, so you are only at risk while installing and removing the reel. Strap is about 20 feet long, and retracts for storage when you are gone, leaving a small cord tied to the bottom of the ladder so you can pull it down and hook up the next time.

I don't have any stock in the company--only one I could find at the time was at BassPro, and I never go there unless I have to, but here is a site showing the product if anyone is interested. I think I gave about $90 for mine.

http://www.integratedsafety.us/store/

If you are young and agile, you probably have lots of responsibilities now and in your future. The likelihood of a young healthy hunter falliing is low, but the negative consequences if you do are really ugly. Regular safety straps protect you if you slip or go to sleep, but most falls are while climbing or descending. Give this a thought with your loved ones (or your dependents) in mind. CB

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an ex girlfriend that broke her neck in a tree stand fall (before we dated), shes extremely lucky to be alive, let alone walk and be normal. Her dads a Chiropractor and apparently 98 percent of people that break their neck where she broke hers die instantly. She got me to wearing a harness, threatened to tan my hide if I didnt.

I also went to highschool with a girl whos dad fell from his stand, broke his neck and died thanksgiving morning of my sophmore year.

Its just to easy to wear one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
another thing to remember. If you do fall and your hanging in the air, you must have a way to cut yourself out of the harness. Keep a knife handy where it can be reached.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
another thing to remember. If you do fall and your hanging in the air, you must have a way to cut yourself out of the harness. Keep a knife handy where it can be reached.

Good point. Some hunters have died hanging under their platform. This is one of the downsides of the conventional safety straps that you attach when you get to the platform, because strap length is always a compromise between mobility and protection.

The Fallguy is on you all the time, and follows you wherever you go as long as you don't yank it suddenly. Instead of falling the length of a strap, you are stopped in an inch or two, so you will still be pretty much where you started, either close to the ladder or still on the platform.

As I get older and clumsier, I really feel the need for this kind of protection. CB

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont wear one as much as I should, but will much more this year. A buddy of mine held a draw for about 20 mins or so last year and took a step back and stepped right off the back of his stand.. he was okay, lucky guy still wont wear one.

Okie Hunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All,

October 28 2009 I slipped of the ladder on my tree stand from a height of about 8 feet landing on my left leg. After 3 surgeries, 10 doctors and 5 hospitals I am just now starting to walk again. A product like this sure would have saved me a lot of pain and expense.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a friend of mine in pa is now a wheel chair sitting fool, he wasn't straped in an broke his back.... after it got dark his hunting buddies went looking for him and found him on ground. so also letting some one know where your stand is could help save a life..................

Latest posts

Top Bottom