Farm Market Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are these guys smoking something, or what? I don't mind paying a little extra for good stuff, but when you're 2-3 times the price of Wal*Mart, and your produce is trucked in from California or Mexico, same as Wallyworld's, you must be joking.

Anybody else seeing the same thing?

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the same topic, just a different subject. Cattle prices have been pretty decent as of lately. We were due up for another beef a few weeks ago and caught prices just right for my liking. We paid .65 less a pound (live weight) than we did 8 months ago. I was liking it.

After it is all said and done, we should come in with beef that costs less per pound than you can buy burger at Wally world.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some sellers are taking advantage of the fact that small producers haven't anything to sell because of the drought and trucking produce in. Some small producers are trucking produce in and claiming it is from the garden. Some are just gouging because of shortages. Watermelons at $10.00 each etc. I have found the best produce in OKC at Crest for about the same price as Wal-Mart.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the same topic, just a different subject. Cattle prices have been pretty decent as of lately. We were due up for another beef a few weeks ago and caught prices just right for my liking. We paid .65 less a pound (live weight) than we did 8 months ago. I was liking it.

After it is all said and done, we should come in with beef that costs less per pound than you can buy burger at Wally world.

We bought a steer a while back and fed it out. After buying the steer, feed and hay, since our field didn't produce anything (drought!), my average $/lb of hanging weight came to $2.56/lb. We ended up with over 700lbs hanging. Last year price came to $2.38/lb. We have a couple of heifers knocked up now so hopefully we'll be producing our own soon and not even have to buy the steer.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, alot of people at the farmers markets are scamming. There are many legitimate folks there too. We go to the one in Edmond occasionally and always buy from the same couple of people.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have read in the paper last year that Walmart was making an effort to purchase local produce when avail. I know the Walmart at 71st and the creek turnpike had Porter peaches the past two years.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought a steer a while back and fed it out. After buying the steer, feed and hay, since our field didn't produce anything (drought!), my average $/lb of hanging weight came to $2.56/lb. We ended up with over 700lbs hanging. Last year price came to $2.38/lb. We have a couple of heifers knocked up now so hopefully we'll be producing our own soon and not even have to buy the steer.

We were actually planning on buying and feeding a steer out. After talking with a good friend in the cattle business, he was highly recommending buying one that was fed out already from one of the locals like we normally do. With cattle markets down and feed high, it made pretty good sense. Markets were at $118.00 per hundred when we bought and the neighbor we bought from cut us a pretty good deal for helping him out recently with some fencing issues/getting cattle back in. We bought at $100 per hundred. After the butcher fees, we will be in it for roughly $2.50/pound.

Latest posts

Top Bottom