Favorite .38 Special +P Self Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend getting their first handgun to be used as a home defense bedside gun.

What's everyones favorite flavor these days of .38 Special +P for self defense.

I've got a non +P rated .38, so I'm a bit out of touch of what good +P rounds you can get out there.

EDIT

Also as my good deed to continue to build our shooter community I'm going to buy him his first box of ammo, so please limit suggestions to things that I could buy local at say Sports World or Dongs, and not something I'd have to order online like say DoubleTap.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah! The good ol' .38 Special +P discussion! :rubhands:

The .38 Special +P of today isn't quite as salty as it used to be. I've fired several from different makers, in different guns even from different eras. The +P rounds of today aren't quite as hot as the ones from the 60's and 70's.

I think the best +P round out there is probably gonna be the Speer "Short Barrel" 135gr +P Gold Dot. I've shot a few of them and they are the closest to measuring up to the older +P rounds than others I have tried.

As for your gun not being +P rated? I also have a pair of "non" +P revolvers - a D frame Colt Cobra Airweight from 1974 and a Smith & Wesson J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard, circa 1985. I shoot standard pressure loads thru them on the range, but for carry purposes, they are both stoked with the Speer Gold Dots I mentioned above.

A "few" +Ps ain't gonna hurt that revolver...just don't feed it a steady diet of them. ;)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will go along on the Speer loading, but if you can find them, they are out there, load it up with Federal 158grSWCHP+P. which all other +P loads are judged.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I just bought a fresh box of Gold Dot SB's last night so they get my nod.

But Buffalo Bore's are kick ass too. They have some real thumpers even in standard pressure loads.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady Critical Defence 110 gr FTX. I dont shoot +p or anything over 125gr. My Taurus 85SS ultra lite is my left hand gun, so for control I shoot these.:bighug:
and of course the Federal Hydrashox

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cartridge: 38 Special
Bullet Weight: 200 grains
Bullet Type: Cast
Bullet Manufacturer: Beartooth Bullets
Nose Profile: FN +P
Base: GC
Bullet Dia. 0.358 grains
Powder: IMR 4227
Charge Weight: 9.2 grains
Primer: REM 1 1/2
Brass: REM
C.O.L.: 1.500"
Velocity: 870 fps

Not a factory load but very impressive.
Very similar to the old 38 super police load.

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom