FBI switching to 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to relay your thoughts on this to the DOD, because they made it clear they were.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

Many law-enforcement shooting incidents have shown this to be reality, he said.

"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Army officials, however, say the M9 does not meet the MHS requirement.

"The M9 doesn't meet it for a multitude of reasons," Easlick said. "It's got reliability issues; the open slide design allows contaminates in. The slide-mounted safety doesn't do well when you are trying to clear a stoppage -- you inadvertently de-cock and safe the weapon system."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

The FBI and several major police departments recently decided to return to using the 9mm round after finding that .40 caliber ammunition was causing excessive wear on its service pistols. The heavier bullet and greater recoil over time resulted in frame damage to well respected makes such as Glock and Beretta, according to Ernest Langdon, a shooting instructor and respected competitive pistol shooter who has worked for gun makers such as Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Sig Sauer.

Isn't that freeking amazing. They decided to go with the 9mm because their budgets were being effected, not because it was the superior round.

Dammed the officer than had to carry a pistol to protect his life or some others. Lets worry about the budget.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Well, I'm sure the guy was still fighting back, he was just doing it with 7 less fingers or toes. After watching years of dash cam videos of cops in shoot outs, the one thing I have learned is, I want to be no where near the area the perp is running towards.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

The FBI and several major police departments recently decided to return to using the 9mm round after finding that .40 caliber ammunition was causing excessive wear on its service pistols. The heavier bullet and greater recoil over time resulted in frame damage to well respected makes such as Glock and Beretta, according to Ernest Langdon, a shooting instructor and respected competitive pistol shooter who has worked for gun makers such as Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Sig Sauer.

Isn't that freeking amazing. They decided to go with the 9mm because their budgets were being effected, not because it was the superior round.

Dammed the officer than had to carry a pistol to protect his life or some others. Lets worry about the budget.

Quite honestly a .357 Sig or .40 isn't going to be much better than the 9mm when restricted to ball. They ought to just go back to .45 and be done with it. The 5.7 is going to cost way too much so that really only leaves one.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets worry about the budget.

Nuh, you right, lets not worry about the budget...

Lets fire a few cops.
Lets train fewer cops.
Lets issue worse cars.
Lets wear expired armor.

Yeah, screw budget!!! Twin Gold Desert Eagles for everyone!!!
www.imfdb.org_images_thumb_9_99_Demi_more_with_eagles.jpg_600px_Demi_more_with_eagles.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite honestly a .357 Sig or .40 isn't going to be much better than the 9mm when restricted to ball. They ought to just go back to .45 and be done with it. The 5.7 is going to cost way too much so that really only leaves one.

I agree with ball. Military is the only one restricted to ball ammo unless they are dummy's.

I agree the 5.7 is not going to make it, although it has its pluses.

I go back to my elephant in the head, and a big heavy bullet making the best of poor shot placement.

Reports of troops on the ground that face open warfare, and have to deal with the 9mm and its lack of lethality hold great circumstance with me. Special forces units have already gone back to the .45.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Kinds like getting punched in the face by a lightweight boxer compared to a heavyweight. Chits gonna hurt either way, but the heavyweight will probably send me to the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom