Federal appeals courts strikes down Illinois CCW ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it probably won't be that bad. IL can simply ignore the 180 day notice and after the deadline they will have constitutional carry, they can appeal the decision(Kachalsky has been already granted Cert and this case splits that decision, so Cert could be granted and the cases be heard) and hope they get a stay until SCOTUS hears the case(likely wont happen this session), or they can write some legislature within the timeline to save some tax funded court costs and be done with it. IL already has a majority of its congress ready to pass shall issue. The governor threatened to veto(or did veto...I forget) and they almost had a super majority to overturn it.... This means the right people have legislation ready to go, and that gives us leverage over the anti's. It is very unlikely that they would be able to craft a restrictive bill and get it past the a congress that already tried to get shall issue.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that state preemption requires a supermajority in IL.

If they dropped that, then I'm sure they could get the legislation through in a heartbeat. Not only would it only require a simple majority, which they already have, but also because because everywhere north of I-80 will just ban concealed carry at the county & municipal level and leave all the hillbillies in SO IL to their own devices.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David Codrea has a good write-up comparing the apparent Illinois victory with the setbacks in Hawaii and New York. I think we'll see another SCOTUS case in the next couple of years.

If a “shall issue” law, meaning anyone who is not prohibited by law may obtain a permit provided they meet a state’s requirements applicable to all, is deemed the level Illinois must establish in order to comply with the court, then a seeming conflict will exist with New York and Hawaii. If “may issue,” meaning the issuing authorities may elect not to approve a permit if an applicant does not satisfy “good cause” requirements on a personal basis, then residents in those and other such states may see their chances of successfully challenging such discretionary edicts diminished.

http://www.examiner.com/article/illinois-gun-victory-may-or-may-not-mitigate-losses-new-york-hawaii

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are those paychecks Biker? :)

Excellent! You sure won't hear me complain about the money I'm earning up here. :hey3:

Sweet. My daughter just moved to Chicago and she has been worried about things there. Hope it all ends well.

Just listening to the news up here is scary! There has even been Chicago cops (off-duty) that have been mugged, shot and/or car-jacked. 2 different incidents last week or the one before, on back-to-back days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom