Federal judge rules DC ban on gun carry rights unconstitutional

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeld

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-dc-ban-on-gun-carry-rights-unconstitutional/

A federal judge in the District of Columbia on Saturday overturned the city’s total ban on residents being allowing to carry firearms outside their home in a landmark decision for gun-rights activists.

Judge Frederick Scullin Jr. wrote in his ruling in Palmer v. District of Columbia that the right to bear arms extends outside the home, therefore gun-control laws in the nation’s capital are “unconstitutional.”

Click here to read the decision.

“We won,” Alan Gura, the lead attorney for the Second Amendment Foundation, told Fox News in a phone interview. “I’m very pleased with the decision that the city can’t forbid the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right."

Gura said he expects the District to appeal this decision but added, “We’ll be happy to keep the fight going.”

The decision leaves no gray area in gun-carrying rights.

Judge Sculin extensively referenced the Supreme Court decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010) to concluding “there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.”

The court ordered the city to now allow residents from the District and other states to carry weapon within its boundaries.

Judge Scullin wrote that the court “enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of [D.C. firearms laws] unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.”

The defendants are the city government and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier.

This case has dragged in the courts for five years. Gura has twice asked the federal appeals court to force Judge Scullin to issue a decision. The five plaintiffs filed in 2009, and the case was argued twice, most recently in Oct. 2012.

George Lyon, a D.C. resident and registered gun owner is one of the plaintiffs in Palmer.

“I am gratified that after a long wait our right to protect ourselves and our families has been vindicated,” Lyon, a lawyer, said Saturday.

He urged Mayor Vincent Gray, a Democrat, and the Democrat-controlled City Council to “swiftly enact a concealed carry law that protects the rights of law abiding citizens to protect themselves.”

Gray and D.C. City Council Chairman Phil Mendelson did not respond immediately for a request for comment.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?201150-Victory-in-dc-palmer-case

simpsonsdidit.png

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
It won't make any difference. The City/District government will drag it's feet on creating laws and regulations for years to come. When those laws and regulations are finally created (after another law suit), they will be so restrictive, and require residents to jump through so many hoops, that only a very few (likely the wealthiest) will qualify for a license. Outside residents using their state's CCW will be hassled repeatedly - arrested, firearm confiscated, ticketed, jailed, etc. - for a long time to come and the City's/District's excuse will always be that the LEOs didn't understand the laws (hmmmmmm, cops who don't understand the law - what a novel concept!). The mess that is D.C. will continue far into the foreseeable future.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this won't open the door for forcing states into "shall issue" situations instead of "may issue"?

Sounds to me as if the Court is of the opinion that States can't prevent the Average Joe Citizen from exercising his rights... Some folks in those "may issue" areas are probably jumping for joy right now, eh?

NYC's gotta be in the crosshairs, I'd think, as are large areas of California and other places.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is great news but I have to agree with boomer that it won't make a difference. It amazes me how things like this clearly show that citizens have the right to carry outside the home yet they still won't be able to because of local government. Our country is so messed up.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the current ruling it looks like permits will be recognized from states but D.C. residents don't have permits so they're out. Or what ever the law was before the ban would be in effect.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am headed to northern Virginia later this week. I usually avoid DC like the plague, but if the ruling remains / no stay is issued, then I might make a special trip.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the current ruling it looks like permits will be recognized from states but D.C. residents don't have permits so they're out. Or what ever the law was before the ban would be in effect.

DC residents who can legally own a gun in DC (ie they have a DC handgun license) are able to legally carry their firearm. At least that's what the chief of police has said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom