Feeder locations for deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing 60 acres and was looking for some tips on feeder and stand locations from some of the more experienced hunters on here. I have really never had a place of my own to set up before. Any info would be appreciated. Thnks in advance.

Here is a pic of the land
[Broken External Image]

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest somewhere inside the white box!

before you set out a feeder look for activity. If you setup a feeder where you have no evidene its going to take longer to get the deer to that area.

We setup a feeder and a camera in an area that had just a few tracks. We only pulled 2 pictures with deer off that camera. Reloacated that feeder to another area and were seeing tons of dear.

Scout the property with your camera. take notes and pictures. You are aware that you can link pictures to maps in Google Earth. perfect for reviewing things and making a plan of attack. It won't take long for you to figure out 60 acres.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
probably where they travel between forested areas.the wiley old moss heads are going to keep pretty much undercover.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From how I have seen deer travel in different areas of the state here are in my opinion some possible locations for you, it is kind of hard to get a handle on it without a better look at the terrain. I have noticed that deer don't like to eat in the wind or in the wide open so keep that in mind when placing feeders.
[Broken External Image]

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first stand choice inside that block be it public, private, or feeder placement would be in the funnel in the bottom of your square where trees connect the two main areas of tree cover. It looks especially good because of the pond west of the property there. Deer from the East moving to and from that water would use that funnel to travel under cover of trees. Any migration from one side of the field to the other for food, bedding area, etc. would also choose that route. You will probably find an established game trail in place there.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 Sniper Jon, I like the pinch point in the bottom as well. Once reason is the narrow stretch of trees runs east and west. Since in our area we have either a north or south wind most of the time, it should be huntable all year long.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going with Sniper John and hondafire. That area is a gimme for deer travel.
You won't go wrong setting up there.
Good luck, and keep us posted with this thread when the next deer season comes around. We would like to see if our "Sage advice" pays out:D

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i also agree with the trees that are running east & west bottom of the property.now that being said it looks like you have alot of cover joining you if you want a great deer spot here you go.first do not put any livestock on there,the clearing in the bottom half of property put it into cowpeas and milo mixture peas 20lb to acre & milo mabye 1lb to acre u want mostly cowpeas and just a few scatt milo through out. work ground up in april and rework it in mid may then plant it will be pulling deer from miles around and i mean alot of deer then in sept just broadcast rye on top of ground the deer feeding on peas will cover alot of it up and it will come up that way u have something green for them to eat after the freeze gets the peas and also in sept put your corn feeders out if you do'nt have the equ. to do this either rent it for a day at a rental place for a day or hire someone to do it corn is very exspensive and trust me in spring and summer they will like peas better if you will do this u will be very happy with the results good luck and good hunting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom