Filing individual vs trust and Why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbuff

Marksman
Reaction score
I started out by using trust because it was much quicker.
I'm not sure if it is still the case given the possibility of filing electronically.

Oldbuff

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with new items, but as of right now, anyone you add to your trust must submit to the full nine works, including fingerprinting.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just purchased a 45 can ( still waiting on ATF ) but Silencer Central said doing a second trust was just as easy if not easier than adding to an existing. You can have any number of trusts so they said. Purchased 9/10/22....trust, fingerprints, etc completed and filed electronically 10/10/22......still waiting
Let us know about your experience at SC, I've heard mix reviews about them. I used Silencershop and bought 4/7/22, submitted 5/3/2, still waiting and I will not be using them again

I file individually because I don't trust anyone

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you would want more than one trust? I built an SBR under my trust and later added suppressors to the trust. As others have said, my wife is on the trust because she has access to the safe. I'll add family members in the future to pass the items to when the time comes.
I’d like to learn more about this. I am going to start searching.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not valid without photos and fingerprints and background check. Thousands are going to wake one morning and find it's not worth the paper it's written on.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let us know about your experience at SC, I've heard mix reviews about them. I used Silencershop and bought 4/7/22, submitted 5/3/2, still waiting and I will not be using them again

I file individually because I don't trust anyone
since I am a member of US Lawshield I used them for my first trust and made my purchase locally at H&H. All together it took about 6 months. I decided to go with SC this time because they would be doing it electronically and supposedly quicker and all under one roof.....but like you I have heard various stuff. We shall see.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People don't understand the difference between a trustee and a responsible person on a trust. A trustee makes a boo-boo and the responsible person goes to jail. Personally before I handed out nfa items willy-nilly, I would want those persons added to the responsible persons list so when they screw up they can sit in the jail cell with me.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to learn more about this. I am going to start searching.
That's good. Please report back with your assessment - it will help us all. I know the rules changed a little since I initially setup my trust. It was a way to avoid some of the BS like the local LEO approval, etc. After the change, any item I added to the trust required fingerprints, background checks, etc. for those listed in the trust (me and my wife). Cold Hand Arms in OKC helped me with adding suppressors to the trust. I think I had to send a copy of the trust to the ATF each time I added an item. It sailed through the ATF without issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom