Fimco Spot Sprayer to Boom Sprayer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured I ask here as I'm sure you fellas have more experience than me with these things.

Got this Fimco spot sprayer last year and it works great. But decided I want to be able to get more utility out of it and make a boom kit for it. Seems like some of the reasonably priced kits are flimsy with medocre reviews. Looked at some youtube videos of guys fabbing up their own kits and that's what I'm lean towards. My biggest question is two fold.

1) Will the 1.2gpm pump handle several sprayer heads and 2) what brand of sprayer head should I look for that are decent quality? Would like to get 10-15' of spray coverage if possible. Any other tips or recommendation, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

1693364182105.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of folks put those in the back of a UTV or ATV to do spot spraying. The pump volume is adequate for riding along a fence line to keep weeds/grass down or spot spraying.
If spot spraying is what your wanting to do with it, it's looks good to go. I had one a couple years ago, but it was on a little trailer to be pulled behind an ATV. 20 gallon I think. I'd still be using it, but was left out in the sun. Not a good thing to do. The plastic became brittle and cracked.
Edit: IMHO, the pump doesn't have the volume to support a boom with multiple heads.
Boom sprayers make it tough to get around trees or fences.
I'd look at a broadcast spray nozzle that doesn't use a boom with that rig if available. My three point sprayer with two broadcast nozzles will do 32', but it's pto driven with a variable pressure regulator.
I may be full of crap, but I'd think a pump with at least twice that GPM would need to be bought to make a small boom or broadcast system.
The broadcast system uses two nozzles that can be adjusted 360 degrees. If spraying into the wind in tall johnson grass, they can be pointed straight up to get full coverage, or pointed down so the fan can cover whats under it when running against the wind.

Last edited:

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you what you want compares to models that have 3 nozzles and most of those have a 2.4 GPM. I have the Fimco tow behind 30gal, the boom folds for stow, or they will swing away if you hit a post or something, I like that feature. Anyway it has a 2.4gpm and when spraying all 3 nozzles at full pressure the pump still cycles but it stays on most of the time. I would think your pump would work but you might not get higher pressures. I'm sure you already checked if Fimco offers a boom kit right?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a boomless tip that exact sprayer. I believe my pump is the same size as yours or it maybe a 2.1 gpm. I use it on the back of a 4 wheeler and I can reach 12' width over knee high vegetation. It will show almost 15' when spraying over concrete to figure spray rate but I prefer to overlap a little when spraying gly rather than possibly leave stripes.
https://www.boomless-sprayer.com/atv

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any boomless nozzle you buy will be rated in gallon per minute and pressure. shop for one in your pump range or get another pump. most likely your pump will only be big enough to run the wand only so mount your wand and use it as a nozzle. every decent boomless i have used took at least 3 gpm

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to say that you’ll probably need a little bigger pump. One thing that you didn’t mention is how much area you will be spraying. If it’s only 1 or 2 acres, you can get by with that size tank. If it’s a larger acreage, you will be filling that tank more than you are actually spraying. I have the same size tank that you have attached to a four wheeler that I use for spot spraying, and I have a larger pull behind tank for spraying larger areas. Just something else to consider.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found the biggest 12 volt pump, within reason, and replaced the cheesy 1.5 GPM factory pump on my 25 gallon spot sprayer. Then I fabbed a 4' boom from PVC with some sprayer tips from Atwoods. I have it installed on the back of my ATV sitting on the rack with the boom plumbed about a foot off the ground to reduce the spray drifting.

Works like a charm and this pump will lay down some product and a good speed on the ATV.

1693398861789.png

1693399131667.png
1693399143135.png
1693399158059.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom