Finally found my fathers Omega Seamaster Watch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for my passport and discovered the watch, only thing I know about it is he broke the original band and the crown.

By the time he broke the watch he had 4 more mouths to feed and his watch wasn’t his biggest priority so he put that watch band on it and I think he took it somewhere to get the crown replaced.

Is it real? I don’t know but it is comfortable.
AF0A3C8E-33A3-4E2F-82ED-A1918E4652DF.jpeg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Looks legit, band has to go LOL. You would have to pop the back to know for sure. If it is it really needs a good refurb by someone with way better skill than I have . Was your father in the military?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If it were mine , I would clean and service and get a new crystal with a proper sized band( leather would be my preference)and leave it with all the age on the hands and just clean the dial. Super cool watch.
Sorry about the double post and run away thoughts, I get a little geeked out on these old watches! :blush:

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks legit, band has to go LOL. You would have to pop the back to know for sure. If it is it really needs a good refurb by someone with way better skill than I have . Was your father in the military?
Yes, we are both retired Navy. I have no idea where be bought the watch, when the band broke I can remember how mad/sad he was and his brother was stationed in Japan and hooked him up with the crown.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with the jeweler that does the cleaning and see what he thinks of refinishing the dial, new crystal, band, cleaning etc. Could be worth a considerable sum.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty please DON'T refinish the dial! It nearly never works out. Not only does it loose it's character in my opinion, it tanks it's value. Being that this is an heirloom watch I can understand that resale value isn't much of a consideration, but 95% of the time a dial restoration is inadvisable. The crystal for that watch is very likely easily sourced. Those movements are very well made. The are brass movements, plated in copper and beryllium bronze. It was a process unique to Omega and it made those movements stunning to look at. You got a great watch and heirloom there.

FYI - servicing that watch will be pretty straight forward. Those Omega movements are very easy to work on (I've done 1 myself already on an old watch given to me years ago). Parts are pretty available, but as long as it wasn't terribly abused, usually the parts are in good shape and can be re-used, aside of course from the mainspring which should almost always get replaced. Think of that as a consumable item in a mechanical watch.

I'd recommend keeping the dial and hands showing their age and only clean up any surface grime that is easily removed with Rodico, clean up the case and put a new crystal in it with a black leather strap. It will be stunning. I'd bet a basic full service is all that watch would need to be a solid runner. I'm looking at a few vintage Omega's online right now myself, and would love to find a pie pan dialed Omega Constellation to restore.

Regarding the dial itself, it is missing the 'Seamaster' script, and it is missing 'Swiss Made' at the 6 o'clock position. Some of the very early Omega's didn't have 'Swiss Made' on the dials yet, but I haven't run across any verified/documented vintage Seamasters that didn't have that script on the dial somewhere, either just below the Omega symbol, or midway between the hands and the 6 o'clock marker. It might be legit, but it would be in a configuration that I haven't come across yet. This might also just be a redial, although very old. There is an Omega forum with folks who live and breath this stuff, and I'm sure they could authenticate it for you with a few photos if it is of any concern to you.

I know more about the dials and their history than the caseback markings, but I haven't seen one that looks like that before. Not to say it isn't original, it's just something I haven't come across yet.

Odds are that the movement is probably genuine. They were super well made, but mass produced nonetheless. If I can help you in any way feel free to reach out. I can help you get the movement info off of it, source a replacement crystal, or put the watch on my timegrapher to tell you how it is running and let you know of any problems. Just let me know.

Last edited:

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave, I’ve been wearing my Seamaster for about 22 years. I send it to Omega every 8 to 10 years for a restoration, and yes, I mean restoration. When it comes back, it’s good as new….even worth more! I believe they offered a service for vintage models, and no, it won’t be cheap. The watch will come back to you looking and running like it did when your dad bought it! Not sure if they have a correct band, but I’m sure they would find a good fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom