Second Watch Repair Complete - For Fellow OSA Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like you've found a rebuilding hobby/side biz you will enjoy. Love all the pics.

Nice looking watch! Good job.

Really like that watch ! nice pics

That is a good looking watch. Just think that watch was sent over to England and they could not fix it correctly. YOU did. That says allot about your skills. Great job!

I admire people with skills. I ain't got none... Unless you count arresting someone in English and Spanish.

Great job! Some people are just naturals. You have a bright future ahead, sir.

Thank you all very much.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the line form here?

I have a small gold'ish looking pocket watch that has "G.W. Jewelry Co. Peoria ILL." on the face.

I can't find any info on the watch anywhere. It's 1/2 the size of a man's pocket watch. I found it in my 93 yo mom's safe deposit box. There was some other jewelry in there, but other than her wedding ring and her mother's ring, she can't remember what they are. I suspect this is either a man's dress watch, maybe my papa's or her mother my gramma carried it. My peoples were poor, so I don't suspect the watch is worth much, but I'd like to see if I can get it running.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 80s, I met a gentleman in Holland that repaired watches and clocks as hobby. He was gracious enough to let me sit next to him while he took apart my newly acquired mantel clock. Just watching him I knew that I didn't have the patience or dexterity to full around with tiny mechanism, I got cabbage fingers.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@thor447 No kidding man. If you're still in Newcastle, I'm in Blanchard. I'm right in ya back door. If you wanna give it a throw, I'm game, and I'll pay in dollars, U.S.
Thank you for the vote of confidence @jakeman, but right now I'm still just not comfortable working on the mechanics of a watch if it belongs to someone else. I'd like to get a few more under my belt. With your particular piece, depending on who makes the movement, parts may or may not even be available. If you want to give me some time to get a few other projects I have on my bench finished, I might be willing to take a look at it. For right now though, out of an abundance of caution and fear of damaging a watch I don't own myself, I'll have to pass. Perhaps soon though.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the vote of confidence @jakeman, but right now I'm still just not comfortable working on the mechanics of a watch if it belongs to someone else. I'd like to get a few more under my belt. With your particular piece, depending on who makes the movement, parts may or may not even be available. If you want to give me some time to get a few other projects I have on my bench finished, I might be willing to take a look at it. For right now though, out of an abundance of caution and fear of damaging a watch I don't own myself, I'll have to pass. Perhaps soon though.

You let me know. I mean really, what's the worst thing that can happen, you break it and it don't work?

It's broke now and don't work, not a real change in status.

Take your time, keep me in mind and when you're ready to give it a look let me know.

It's little. I doubt it will be a walk in the park, but it just an old pocket watch.

CEA1C74E-CCF1-4BEC-8BF5-AE70923D7B18.jpeg
F1835BE2-8C7E-466D-872D-AB228C914C27.jpeg

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You let me know. I mean really, what's the worst thing that can happen, you break it and it don't work?

It's broke now and don't work, not a real change in status.

Take your time, keep me in mind and when you're ready to give it a look let me know.

It's little. I doubt it will be a walk in the park, but it just an old pocket watch.

View attachment 289616View attachment 289617
Let me get a few more projects on my bench done and I will take a look. Generally pocket watches are less complicated than wrist watches. I know that the mechanics of your pocket watch are within my skill level, but it's the mere fact that it doesn't belong to me that is daunting. I'll be in touch once a few more of these I have waiting have been rebuilt. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom