Finally got to shoot some of my new guns... some thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with Doc, if I can't easily load a mag by hand, the mag is trash. Mag loaders are for chicks and old men with arthritis.
You're right I'm a old man. Old enough to know better than to do things the difficult way when there is a simple solution to the problem. I know you guys are buds, I'm sure he appreciates you helping him out on this one.

I just posted a link to a product that may make his range time more pleasant and he went off about the mags being impossible to use. So fix the problem or sell it.

Very sorry I tried to help. I will try to remember not to step on yours toes again.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right I'm a old man. Old enough to know better than to do things the difficult way when there is a simple solution to the problem. I know you guys are buds, I'm sure he appreciates you helping him out on this one.

I'm just happy to hear that you don't have boobs.

Seriously, a single stack 7-8 round mag that cannot be loaded without a loader is crap. S&W needs to address the issue.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I just posted a link to a product that may make his range time more pleasant and he went off about the mags being impossible to use. So fix the problem or sell it.

Very sorry I tried to help. I will try to remember not to step on yours toes again.
Perfectly fine with me... if you want to defend a design that requires the use of a separately-purchased mag loader, then go ahead. I said it's a stupid design... I didn't say I couldn't use a loader. In fact, I specifically said I DO use a loader for my AR mags just for convenience. I was giving a review of my range time and experiences, including both good and bad. I think the mag design is bad. You want to say it's fine. Good for you. So if you're going to take your ball and go home, then be my guest.

Shield mags suck. Bottom line. Maybe you're afraid it'll hurt your S&W stock, eff if I know. Please... feel free to place me on /ignore.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I like the way you put words in my mouth. I never said a problem mag was fine, just offered up some help and you got all wound up about it.

I don't put people on ignore, I believe that is kinda childish.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm just happy to hear that you don't have boobs.

Seriously, a single stack 7-8 round mag that cannot be loaded without a loader is crap. S&W needs to address the issue.
I never said a mag that couldn't be loaded was okay, just offered some help. Never insinuated the op was weak, was a chick, an old man, or had boobs.

Contrary to the impression made in some posts here, not all Shield mags are impossible to load by hand. That's a bit of an over generalization.

Once again, I just offered help not an insult to anyone's manhood.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the way you put words in my mouth. I never said a problem mag was fine, just offered up some help and you got all wound up about it.

I don't put people on ignore, I believe that is kinda childish.
Guess I'm childish then. I've got a number of losers on here on /i. Again... I'm not as cool as you, sadly. But it certainly eliminates the temptation to pay attention to them.

I thought you were leaving?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the uplula on everything. Great choice of tools. I haven't had the S&W shield mag problems as I haven't loaded one of them. I'd like to try one just for comparison. I might agree they are a PITA.
I shoot a S&W in competition. It would be a PITA to load 250 rounds by hand. The mag extension that takes it from 17 to 21 rounds really puts some stress on the thumb at round 20.
My wife has soft hands, and loves it as well. She wanted one for her range bag although we always go together.
I have a loading tool for my Ruger mags as well from Brownells. That tiny button on the side of the mags will tear flesh by the end of the day at a steel challenge match.

Latest posts

Top Bottom