finally scored a S&W .22 LR Revolver, model 18 K-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hmmmmm....

model 18 has a floating firing pin. if pin never makes contact with rim support surface as verified by magic marker.

unless I'm missing something, no damage is occurring by dry firing.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got back from the Sand Spring Gun Club....
18-3 shoots sweeet!!!!!!

easily more accurate than I am... puts that Ruger single 6 to shame.
barrel swings out and empties in one motion vs Ruger single 6 empties one at a time.

tried out 5 different types of ammo... doesn't seem to be ammo sensitive.
except wally world gold ammo has a hard time fitting into barrel.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going by what the nice lady at S&W told me,,,
I have a nasty habit of listening to the manufacturer's advice.

Glad you like your Model 18,,,
I am surely in heavy love with mine.

Now if I can just find a good deal on a used Model 17,,,
My collection of S&W 22's will be complete.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct answer is not to, .22lr ammo is cheap, just shoot it alot!! Also make sure you clean under the extractor star, 22's aeem to be the worst at collecting alot of fouling under it.

This! Those things get nasty underneath. I've had a bad habit lately of shooting my 18 a bunch and leaving it dirty. Finally gave it a bath the other day.

been trying to figure out... just what's the difference between a model 17 and a model 18?

Just going off the top of my head but IIRC the 18 was designed to be a companion to the 15 and the 19 and was only available in a 4". The 17 was a target revolver and only came in 6". Disclaimer: These facts might not be entirely correct. Just got done with a 12 hr work day and I'm more comfortable on my @55 rather than getting up to grab my S&W catalog.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This! Those things get nasty underneath. I've had a bad habit lately of shooting my 18 a bunch and leaving it dirty. Finally gave it a bath the other day.

Just going off the top of my head but IIRC the 18 was designed to be a companion to the 15 and the 19 and was only available in a 4". The 17 was a target revolver and only came in 6". Disclaimer: These facts might not be entirely correct. Just got done with a 12 hr work day and I'm more comfortable on my @55 rather than getting up to grab my S&W catalog.

The model 17, and its earlier kin have been offered in 4" barrels. Most but not all were pre-war K22's, and one of those in 4" will be costly!!! Other than that there is the K-frame model 45 in .22lr which is a fixed sight version of the 18. So lots of different models, an toy's out there, and if all you can own is four S&W revolvers they should be a 14/K38, 17/K22, 15/67 4" .38spl, an 18 4" .22lr. Lots and lots of tree's have been destroyed over the years as to .38spl "V" .357Mag. I look at it this way, you'll get lots more shooting in, and become a better shooter burning up those .38's, and .22lr's, and similar in approach to the argument over .44spl. "V" .44Mag for most of your shooting needs, to include self defense, the .38spl will handle 95% of task's. Same goes for the little .22lr. In its 4" flavor it makes a great trainer for the 4" .38spl., as well as a great field gun to backup your shotgun, or centerfire rifle to take something for the camp pot. Even in their 6" version's(I'm not including the 617 with lugged barrel) they are light, and easy to pack around. The K38/14 6" loaded for the field with a heavy 158gr to 195gr SWC+P loaded will put a damper on just about anything shot with it.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Model 17 is the companion gun to the Model 14,,,
The official S&W name (according to the Standard Catalog of S&W),,,
Is Model 14 Masterpiece and Model 18 Masterpiece.

You will often hear them referred to as Target Masterpiece,,,
In most cases they came in 6" barrel length.

The Model 18 is the companion gun to the Model 15,,,
The official S&W name in Combat Masterpiece,,,
Typically they came in a 4" barrel length.

K-22 or K-38 simply refers to a type of gun,,,
Not a particular model of gun.

K-Frame in .38 Special,,,
K-Frame in .22 LR.

Before the Model number system that was introduced in 1951(?),,,
The 6" was referred to as a K-38 Masterpiece,,,
Or a K-22 Masterpiece.

The 4" version was referred to as a K-38 Combat Masterpiece,,,
Or a K-22 Combat Masterpiece.

Again according to the Standard Catalogue of S&W,,,
There were variations on the barrel lengths.

For instance I have a friend who owns a 2" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece,,,
There are almost always variations to any barrel length rule.

But in general a Model 15 will be 4" and a Model 17 will be 6" barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom