finally scored a S&W .22 LR Revolver, model 18 K-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bad news... my K-22 started jamming. thought it was the .22 shells not seated. but K-22 still kept intermittently jamming with shell removed.

trigger would lock up in double action. cocking hammer for single action would do the same. if you moved hammer hard enough, it'd go ahead and cock for SA. no problem firing after cocking hammer.

later that night ... it was clean and tear down time for model 18-3
found a sticky cylinder lockout ... seems the return spring got fatigued.

stretched out spring until I can order a new spring... put everything back together. now K-22 functions great again...

but I've lost the silky smooth trigger ... oh well... looks like it will be full tear down and clean with simple green soon.

[Broken External Image]

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got off the line with Brownells and Midway USA.
ordered a factory cylinder stop, hand with springs and a bunch of other parts I've been needing.

cylinder gap measured at .007in between barrel and cylinder. .008in feeler gauge barely slid in. rear cylinder gap is tight at less than .007in.

spec from S&W is under .010in for front, .014in for rear. so my cylinder is very tight. side to side rotation should be .002-.003in or barely any movement. K-22 is sloppy greater than .010in, but still shoots fairly accurate.

since I'm doing the cylinder stop. odds are it will change timing, so might as well replace the hand too.

[Broken External Image]

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
just got off the line with Brownells and Midway USA.
ordered a factory cylinder stop, hand with springs and a bunch of other parts I've been needing.

cylinder gap measured at .007in between barrel and cylinder. .008in feeler gauge barely slid in. rear cylinder gap is tight at less than .007in.

spec from S&W is under .010in for front, .014in for rear. so my cylinder is very tight. side to side rotation should be .002-.003in or barely any movement. K-22 is sloppy greater than .010in, but still shoots fairly accurate.

since I'm doing the cylinder stop. odds are it will change timing, so might as well replace the hand too.

[Broken External Image]

You've got alot of fouling on that cylinder face, and make sure you clean under the extractor star really good(both sides).

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks .. clean under star extractor really good last night with hoppe #9. will do a better job with simple green when new parts get in and I'll be doing a total tear down and clean.

looks like S&W told me wrong on clearances this morning. front gap on cylinder to barrel is .006 to .010in .... rear gap is .004 to .008in. second person couldn't find a side to side tolerance.

if .002-.0003in side tolerance is incorrect... may have purchased new cylinder lock and hand for nothing.

You've got alot of fouling on that cylinder face, and make sure you clean under the extractor star really good(both sides).

Latest posts

Top Bottom