Firearm in car on company property.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if your employer is the public school system? I heard it was different for teachers.

I am a teacher at Tulsa Tech and was told that we could not have a firearm in a locked vehicle, and if caught could be terminated and fined up to 3500 dollars. Colleges are different, as long as the gun is in your locked car you are OK. My uncle says he would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six, and I will have to agree.

Read the SDA again, you can not have a firearm on school property including the parking lot, whether you are a visitor, parent, teacher, custodian, anywhere in the parking lot is a no no......

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the SDA again, you can not have a firearm on school property including the parking lot, whether you are a visitor, parent, teacher, custodian, anywhere in the parking lot is a no no......

That's not entirely true, you are able to drive onto the school property, IIRC it's Title 21 1277 that covers it. Basically you are able to drive onto the property with a firearm in your car but you are not able to leave the vehicle unattended. Basically lets you drive up and pick up or drop off your kids at school.

ETA....sorry it's Title 21 1280.1 that covers what I was saying.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69749

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not entirely true, you are able to drive onto the school property, IIRC it's Title 21 1277 that covers it. Basically you are able to drive onto the property with a firearm in your car but you are not able to leave the vehicle unattended. Basically lets you drive up and pick up or drop off your kids at school.

ETA....sorry it's Title 21 1280.1 that covers what I was saying.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69749

Yup, but in the context of the quotes, you can not leave a weapon in your car, working, visiting, dropping off lunch money, etc, etc, etc. But yes, you are correct!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, but in the context of the quotes, you can not leave a weapon in your car, working, visiting, dropping off lunch money, etc, etc, etc. But yes, you are correct!

Correct this includes K-12 and Technology Center campuses. There is some vaugeness in the wording as to whether or not the business office facalities would be prohibitied since they are not actual school sites. I don't want to be the test case though. I have convenient parking next to our service center.

As to the OP state law says it is unlawful to terminate for keeping a gun concealed in your vehicle. My wife works for a hospital that has security who claim the have the rigth to confiscate if they search and find a weapon in the vehicle in additon to the termination policy. The law when passed was enjoined and then the injunction was recently overturned last year.

Don't discuss guns with an employer that's your first mistake, OK is an at will state, you can be fired for anything. If it's in their policy don't whine and complain to them about it concealed means concealed, don't tell them you have one.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many companies have a policy form as part of your employment that you must sign. Among the myriad of things in their they will stick in a consent to search of your vehicle.

One company I worked for did just such a thing, they searched the graveyard employee's vehicles once, fired a guy when they found a couple of thousand dollars worth of stolen copper in the back of his van.

Latest posts

Top Bottom