Firearms Maintenance: Do You do A Good Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it very relaxing and therapeutic to sit at the kitchen table and clean my gun(s) while watching sports- neverminding the nasty looks from the ol lady I get for the 'smells'. I also find that I over oil sometimes, I try not to. I stay up on it tho.
My cleaning tool box has the usual Hoppes, Breakfree CLP, some Outers stuff, big can of Caseys Gun Scrubber, Remington 40-X, some of my dads old cleaning supplies, some other stuff, etc. I always keep a lil 4oz bottle of Breakfree in my range bag.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I clean my guns after each range session, on the tailgate of my truck, before I head home. Unless the weather is bad. Hoppes #9 and TW25B white lithium grease with a wide temperature range

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_A94E8DD8_A8DE_459E_9309_4CF20FFE7025_zpsvr0ya7jh.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Puts on flame suit)

I hate cleaning guns. Idunno if you guys dont shoot much, or always shoot the same gun...or I'm just trying to justify my actions...but I usually take 5 or so guns out every week (and those 5 vary depending on what we're shooting) and it would take FOREVER to CLEAN them all.
I wipe 'em all down good and lube as needed but rarely do I strip them down and do a thorough cleaning.

Some guns arent too bad to do like the 10/22, but doing so changes my POI when I take the stock off so I dont like doing that much.
The 1919 gets DIRTY fast but still shoots as its designed to and the parts are big and it makes a mess cleaning it. Its not bad to take apart though

Most get a good shot of EWL, rack it a bunch and wipe off whatever crap comes out.

Carry guns are a whole different animal...I clean them more often but always go to the range and verify functionality before carrying it again.

My bird guns are "pretty" (Auto 5, Superposed, BSS, 1887) so I always wipe them down after each day and clean them good when I get home but guns like my M1A, 590, Buckmark and Hipower get rode hard and put away wet and dirty :D

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Puts on flame suit)

I hate cleaning guns. Idunno if you guys dont shoot much, or always shoot the same gun...or I'm just trying to justify my actions...but I usually take 5 or so guns out every week (and those 5 vary depending on what we're shooting) and it would take FOREVER to CLEAN them all.
I wipe 'em all down good and lube as needed but rarely do I strip them down and do a thorough cleaning.

Some guns arent too bad to do like the 10/22, but doing so changes my POI when I take the stock off so I dont like doing that much.
The 1919 gets DIRTY fast but still shoots as its designed to and the parts are big and it makes a mess cleaning it. Its not bad to take apart though

Most get a good shot of EWL, rack it a bunch and wipe off whatever crap comes out.

Carry guns are a whole different animal...I clean them more often but always go to the range and verify functionality before carrying it again.

My bird guns are "pretty" (Auto 5, Superposed, BSS, 1887) so I always wipe them down after each day and clean them good when I get home but guns like my M1A, 590, Buckmark and Hipower get rode hard and put away wet and dirty :D

More times than not, people who shoot more clean less. It's not a hard and fast rule but guys who are shooting a lot don't clean every time.

I'm with you on verifying functionality of a weapon before I carry it. Even with how simple a glock is to disassemble, it's easy to put the guide rod in wrong and miss the lip it sits on.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is very true. But it takes no time at all to add the appropriate amount of lube to the guns I use so just the cleaner would knock my cleaning time down significantly.

Do you own one?

Yes. Actually, the wife bought one somewhere to clean her jewelry...I slink around when she isn't around and use it sometimes for small parts. It's just about as much hassle to set it up and then have to clean it as it is to just go ahead and clean the dang guns in the first place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom