First 50 converted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First 50 cases converted from 5.56 to 300 AAC Blackout. Primed and ready for powder and boolits. Now I just need to buy powder, boolits a charging die and hopper and a scale to QC my loads.

Military crimped brass, even after hitting that stuff with the RCBS swage it's still a different experience priming it those primers are certainly in there. Hand priming with the RCBS tool OMG! I will probably never prime on the press with my progressive again I'll just run my .45 brass through a universal decapping die and then kick back on the couch and prime that stuff from here on out. run it through the sizing die station with out the pin and move on.

Gonna have to rig up a drill to run the case trimmer though. Man that's getting old fast considering I want to get about 600 rounds rolled in the next week or 2.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been playing with 300 Blackout for the last few weeks. The brass processing/converting is definitely the most time consuming part of the process. Its a fun cartridge to play with and will make for some good hog hunting later in the year.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Military crimped brass, even after hitting that stuff with the RCBS swage it's still a different experience priming it those primers are certainly in there. Hand priming with the RCBS tool OMG! I will probably never prime on the press with my progressive again I'll just run my .45 brass through a universal decapping die and then kick back on the couch and prime that stuff from here on out. run it through the sizing die station with out the pin and move on.

QUOTE]

After swadgging the primer pocket hit the mouth with a 90° counter sink(found at any hardware store)it will knock the edge off making for easer priming.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you annealing the case neck? I would think the brass would be a little hard that far down the case. Does annealing after cutting before forming help with brass life?

I looked into getting a commercial annealer but after doing some looking around and talking to others I sold brass to I had not heard of a problem from not annealing converted brass and see that most people dont. I guess if you wanted it to last longer you might want to do it.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not going to bother with annealing.
Got his snazzy little jig from a guy on 300blk talk

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842

Cuts them to 1.370 if you adjust it just right.
I hit mine with the chamfer and debur tool real quick, some don't.
Full length size and decap.
Trim chamfer, debur.
Swage and then you are ready to prime and load.

Now I need a good source of Boolits, fricken .308 is expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am cheap, but I'm lazy too. I only have 100 pieces from factory brass, but I have buckets of 5.56. I'm just gonna give tyromeo55 my $50 and be done for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom