1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

first Glock in a long time

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by YukonGlocker, Mar 25, 2020.

1. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I was searching for a deal on a Shield when a good friend of mine offered her Glock 42 to me. She said "I bought it new, fired it 5 times, and it jammed on the 5th shot. I put it back in the box and haven't touched it since. If you want it, it's yours." It's now mine! I wasn't searching for a .380, or for a Glock, but this is a neat little pistol. It's been a long time since I've owned a Glock, given that I switched to the M&P pistols when they came out over a decade ago.

In any case, it's an early G42 (first year of release), 5 shots past new. Looking around, it seems a few parts have been updated to help with reliability. I plan to change: mags (to 03), slide stop lever (to 33272), trigger housing (to 33228), and trigger bar (to 33206). It appears to have the 5.5 lb connector, so I'll stick with that for now.

Is there anything else these pistols might benefit from in terms of reliability?

2. druryj

druryj Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Seeing as it's basically a new gun, I'd put all the stock components back in it and shoot it first before spending time and money on things you may not need or want.

Something tells me you already know that though...

YukonGlocker, 1911master and blake711 like this.
  3. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Contact Glock customer service and tell them what you have. They may pay for replacing the parts.

blake711, YukonGlocker and rc508pir like this.
  4. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    As above, contact Glock. They will likely send a label and do the updates.

Or come shoot an outdoor GSSF match and they will likely do it on the spot! They did me right on my 26.5 at a match. May be July before one is close though.

YukonGlocker likes this.
  5. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I was in a LGS on the east side of Shawnee looking at a Smith and Wesson 1911 SC E-Series. Well a fella came in a huffin and a puffin said his G42 jammed up on the 5th shot. Fella behind the counter told him Glock would make it right with him. He said I don't want that gun back show me something else. Anyway just thought that was kinda strange to hear that again.

dennishoddy and druryj like this.
  6. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Good ol Glock "perfection"

JD8 and dennishoddy like this.
  7. YukonGlocker

Rating
    100%
    If we were not experiencing pandemic, I would send it back and let Glock replace the parts. I talked to them today, and it's covered. Long ago, I sent them a G32 for frame replacement...sent them a stripped empty frame, and they sent me a complete one back...all for no charge...I still have that complete set of frame parts somewhere. I just don't trust that it won't get hung up somewhere right now. So, I'll replace these. They are cheap. Bought a few mags today, as well as a Vickers +2 extension. Ammo is hard to find. Gun World had some, but it was extremely overpriced. H&H had some, but 1 box limit. What in the world will y'all do with so much .380 ammo!...lol! If anyone has a couple extra boxes of Hornady XTP, I'd sure like to have some.

Mad Professor likes this.
  8. YukonGlocker

Rating
    100%
    We'll see how close how I get it!

druryj and Mad Professor like this.
  9. druryj

druryj Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don’t have a .380 anymore but I think I might have 5 or 6 loose rounds of FMJ if you get desperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker likes this.
  10. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

You’re just jealous. Wait, what do you carry for CCW?