First handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on something else. Buy a Glock and you will not be disappointed.

This is BS. Plenty of other guns out there to consider. Personally, the Glock feels like ass in my hand. I didn't buy a gun until I had shot many of them including the Glock. If you like how it feels and shoot it as accurately as the others you try, go for it. Many reasons to go with it, but it isn't the end-all-be-all that some say it is. YMMV.

B

ps - I own a S&W M&P.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would warn you not to make the same mistake that allot of other people make whom have never carried a gun regularly. Don't go out and buy a big piece of artillery and then find out...man this thing is big and heavy...not very comfortable to carry and then start leaving it at home and not wearing it. I would tell you to buy the smallest, lightest, gun in the biggest caliber you can stand to shoot consistently. Glock makes small frame versions of most of their calibers and are great guns that I have found to be very reliable. You said you were thinking about .45 if you are sold on that caliber and not any other.

If it has to be a .45 you might also look at a 1911 style gun. Kimber and Springfeild both make compact 1911's in .45 and you will not go wrong with one of them.

Also what is your shooting experience? what handgun did you learn with? I would also suggest that you get a gun similar to one you learned with. So if you learned on a glock buy a glock. If you learned on a 1911 get a 1911. A carry gun is very personal thing that ultimately you have to trust. Go out feel them in your hand at the gun shop, gun show. Shoot the gun model before you buy it. See if any of your friends have one like you want to buy and see if they will let you carry it for a few days so you can see if you can manage the feel of the gun on your side, in your pocket, on your ankle. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom