First Hog!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took this one in Rubottom, OK (about 20 miles west of Marietta) about three in the afternoon on Sunday. He was asleep in the mud when I found him. I put a round of .45-70 through his cervical spine and he never even tried to get up. We didn't weigh him, but we guessed at about 150lb.

He is currently resting comfortably in the ice chest. Well, a couple of ice chests. And the dumpster. Memorial services will be held at the barbeque pit. :D[/QUOTE]

Good going there, and a great size, too. Hadn't hunted Rubottom enough my self, mostly across the highway on North Barnes (if it is the Kimbell lease), last time we went was March and partner got one about the same size as yours.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After several months of trying intermittently, I finally managed to score my first hog:
attachment.php

Took this one in Rubottom, OK (about 20 miles west of Marietta) about three in the afternoon on Sunday. He was asleep in the mud when I found him. I put a round of .45-70 through his cervical spine and he never even tried to get up. We didn't weigh him, but we guessed at about 150lb.

He is currently resting comfortably in the ice chest. Well, a couple of ice chests. And the dumpster. Memorial services will be held at the barbeque pit. :D

CONGRATS ON THE KILL!!!!!

Lots of hogs out that way. Go tear'em up!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good going there, and a great size, too. Hadn't hunted Rubottom enough my self, mostly across the highway on North Barnes (if it is the Kimbell lease), last time we went was March and partner got one about the same size as yours.

I think he's actually talking about a diffrent area in Rubottom, OK, not the Rubottom pasture of the Kimble Ranch.

Use to be lots of good hogs and turkey on the Rubottom. Some decent deer too if you knew where to look.

I always liked the Barnes pasture for deer and hogs. We had a nice little meadow in the middle of the place that seemed to produce an opportunity at a trophy each year we hunted it.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is that Sportsman's did not renew the lease for two main reasons: Kimbell was doubling the price of the lease and Kimbell wanted to further limit the number of bucks taken.

That was what I heard too. At least it happend after I left the club. I use to hunt that place on a regular basis. Seems its getting tougher and tougher to find quality leases for a reasonable price.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was what I heard too. At least it happend after I left the club. I use to hunt that place on a regular basis. Seems its getting tougher and tougher to find quality leases for a reasonable price.

That was the main reason I joined was to hunt hogs down there. Already renewed membership for this season, not sure if I will do it after this year.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he's actually talking about a diffrent area in Rubottom, OK, not the Rubottom pasture of the Kimble Ranch.

Use to be lots of good hogs and turkey on the Rubottom. Some decent deer too if you knew where to look.

I always liked the Barnes pasture for deer and hogs. We had a nice little meadow in the middle of the place that seemed to produce an opportunity at a trophy each year we hunted it.

Yep, you're right, I should have waited a few minutes before I posted to see if there was another post. Barnes has been my favorite place to hunt there, going to miss it. Have had some luck this year on another lease and much closer.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, you're right, I should have waited a few minutes before I posted to see if there was another post. Barnes has been my favorite place to hunt there, going to miss it. Have had some luck this year on another lease and much closer.

glad i got out when i did, my new lease at Thomas okla. is supposed to have pigs on it. but between the heat and the health i've never seen it yet

Latest posts

Top Bottom