First squib ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some freedom munitions 40 yesterday at the gun show for a price I couldnt pass up. I should have passed it up. It looks like I had 2 squibs in the first 10 rounds. The first one I didnt realize was a squib at the time and Im lucky the gun didnt blow up when I fired another round right behind it. Now I have to call them tomorrow. This is why I reload.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, I have shot lots of Freedom Ammo both their new and reman. and have had only one .380 primer that did not fire. Wonder if it could have gotten wet or something. Hopefully they will have some answers, keep us informed. Thanks.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very scary. I posted about my first squib a couple weeks ago when my son was shooting (he's 11). I've been shooting 40 years and that was the first, and hopefully, last time that happens. Bad things can happen very quickly. Glad you and the gun are ok.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So just to eliminate all possibility of it being anything other than the ammo I tried a few things. I thought maybe there was a chance I had some junk in my firing pin channel or my tip was broke off my firing pin and when I ejected the round that didnt fire, the slug stuck in the lands if it was too long a oal and I didnt notice the powder that came out. You know, just to be sure it wasnt my fault. So I tore my gun apart and cleaned the channel out and inspected everything. It all looked just fine. I couldnt stand it so just to double check before I called them in the morning I grabbed 8 rounds out of the bulk pack and loaded them in a mag. I was going to go in the back yard and slowly shoot them and if anything felt wrong I would go back in the house and really look and see what happened.
Went outside with my muffs on and stripped the top round off the mag. Aimed. Click. Now at this point I dont know what happened except that it didnt fire.
Dropped the mag and waited to make sure it wasnt a hang fire. Nothing. Went in the house before I even pulled the slide back. Sat down at my table and pulled the slide and locked it back. Empty case dropped out. Good primer strike. Bullet stuck in barrel just after the chamber and where the rifling starts. Soot all in case and back of bullet. No unburned powder came out. So this one for sure had no powder or not even enough to sound any different than a dry fire. And that was the first one I grabbed out of the box.