first time muzzle loader hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anyone here gonna try muzzle loader hunting for the first time? i've been mz hunting for 30 years and use to treat it as more of a scouting trip. but the last 4-5 years i've seriously hunted it and it can be productive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been real serious about MZ hunting once I got rid of the old TC Hawkins that couldn't hit a barn at 20 yds. Don't know why it ever went with me to the field.
Bought an MK-85 Knight when Tony Knight was still selling them from his home. Great rifle, and nice looking as well with the woodland green laminated stock and stainless barrel. Took lots of deer with that one, until it became one of my guns stolen from me.
Replaced it with a Savage Ml-10 smokeless, stainless barrel, laminated stock.

Talk about a tack driver:D

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been MZL hunting for a number of years... have killed my share of deer with MZL rifles.

got a Knight disc elite .50 cal with Leupold scope that basically shoots like any high power deer rifle. easily MOA at 100yds.

pie plate accuracy guns have taken home a load of vittles. modern inline MZL with shotshell primer is just like hunting with any modern large caliber rifle.

this year I'm thinking of going backwards and use real black powder with percussion caps. purchased a sweeet custom built .50 cal with green mountain barrel.

okladucks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love to muzzleloader hunt. Its by far, my favorite time to be in the woods. I enjoy the early season, the deer dont seem to be as spooky. I have a TC Black Diamond that suits me just fine. I've used it to kill the vast majority of my deer.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going with the ML for the first time this year. I'll be using a CVA Accura. After shooting it for a while now I can't figure out what took me sooo long to pick one up and give it a try. They are fun, even just to take out the the range!

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just getting into hunting in general and have seriously debated on trying out the muzzle loader as well
where you gonna hunting at ? used to be public land was less crowded during muzzle loader season, don't know about now haven't been to public land in awhile

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been ML hunting for about as long as I've been deer hunting. I remember my first trips out with a 40cal cap and ball CVA kit I watched my dad build.

Now I use an inline Knight 50cal with a scope. I typically just use it to get a doe then always seem to find myself going back to my trusty bow and arrow.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check this out. I have one, but haven't hunted with it yet. No cleaning, no smoke, and vastly longer range with little drop. Visualize 30-06 performance with 250 to 300 grains of .458 bullet in a .50 sabot. Savage also sells one, but it's more money and I don't like it as well.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

And if you put smokeless powder in your muzzleloader, plan a funeral before you try it the first (and last) time . . . CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom