first time muzzle loader hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check this out. I have one, but haven't hunted with it yet. No cleaning, no smoke, and vastly longer range with little drop. Visualize 30-06 performance with 250 to 300 grains of .458 bullet in a .50 sabot. Savage also sells one, but it's more money and I don't like it as well.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

And if you put smokeless powder in your muzzleloader, plan a funeral before you try it the first (and last) time . . . CB

whats not to like about the savage?:uhwhat:

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been real serious about MZ hunting once I got rid of the old TC Hawkins that couldn't hit a barn at 20 yds. Don't know why it ever went with me to the field.
Bought an MK-85 Knight when Tony Knight was still selling them from his home. Great rifle, and nice looking as well with the woodland green laminated stock and stainless barrel. Took lots of deer with that one, until it became one of my guns stolen from me.
Replaced it with a Savage Ml-10 smokeless, stainless barrel, laminated stock.

Talk about a tack driver:D

I hunt every season with a TC Hawkin. Mine and my fathers are real accurate. My dads friend bought one at the same time he bought his and from the same company and his wasn't accurate at all. Not sure if they had some issues or what?

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Rem 700 .50 ML and need some help with it I'm shooting 295 power belts and 100g of white hot Is that a good combo? It's not clearly marked magnum but I've been told it would shoot 150g with no prob. I suck with it. I never had the little delay to deal with and am shocked at my suckyness. I heard it was a great gun and yes It has the 209 shotgun primer deal.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check this out. I have one, but haven't hunted with it yet. No cleaning, no smoke, and vastly longer range with little drop. Visualize 30-06 performance with 250 to 300 grains of .458 bullet in a .50 sabot. Savage also sells one, but it's more money and I don't like it as well.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

And if you put smokeless powder in your muzzleloader, plan a funeral before you try it the first (and last) time . . . CB

I have a Savage AND an SMI. Both shoot well and I love both of them. Actually by the time you figure in the cost of the H&R shotgun a blue/black Savage is about the exact same price as an SMI.

One major advantage the SMI has over the Savage is thier is no damn vent liner to screw with in your breech plug. That being said, SMI's are sort of "homebuilds" and the machining is not as precise as the Savage cookie cutter. This does not hurt the functionality or safety of the SMI, but does effect the aesthetic quality.

I give kudos to both SMI and Savage customer service when dealing with thier muzzleloaders. Both seem to do whatever necessary to "make things right".

Owning and hunting with both I can honestly say the choice of SMI or Savage is a toss up. Completely up to personal preference. HOWEVER, I will add that SMI can "custom build" your muzzleloader. Therefore, YOU CAN BUILD A YOUTH/LADIES MODEL IN A SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADER!! Which is exactly what I did for my wife. Whoever has handled the Savage muzzleloader will agree that it is a tank, and certianly not kid/small framed shooter friendly!

BTW what loads are you shooting out of your SMI?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt every season with a TC Hawkin. Mine and my fathers are real accurate. My dads friend bought one at the same time he bought his and from the same company and his wasn't accurate at all. Not sure if they had some issues or what?

My first was one of the kit guns from TC that the owner had to assemble, finish and fit. I really didn't know what I was doing at the time, and just put it together. There could have been bedding issues, or a myriad of other problems that I didn't know how to correct at that time.
One of the problems was I didn't understand rifling twist, and how it effected different rounds. I was shooting a conical bullet in a gun that needed a round ball and patch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoever has handled the Savage muzzleloader will agree that it is a tank, and certianly not kid/small framed shooter friendly!

BTW what loads are you shooting out of your SMI?

Thats a fair description of the Savage. It is a heavy gun. Any gun with a 1" stainless barrel that long will be heavy.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cant wait to get out on the opening day. I bought a Leupold scope for my traditions this year. Had a run of bad luck last year using the traditions scope that came with the gun. It worked fine the first year, and last year it lost zero in the woods at that critical moment. Shoot it four times at different deer on the same day and later found out it was two feet off. Needless to say I will never trust a combo set up again. Hope to make up for last year this year..good luck to all..

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Rem 700 .50 ML and need some help with it I'm shooting 295 power belts and 100g of white hot Is that a good combo? It's not clearly marked magnum but I've been told it would shoot 150g with no prob. I suck with it. I never had the little delay to deal with and am shocked at my suckyness. I heard it was a great gun and yes It has the 209 shotgun primer deal.?????????

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Rem 700 .50 ML and need some help with it I'm shooting 295 power belts and 100g of white hot Is that a good combo? It's not clearly marked magnum but I've been told it would shoot 150g with no prob. I suck with it. I never had the little delay to deal with and am shocked at my suckyness. I heard it was a great gun and yes It has the 209 shotgun primer deal.?????????

How much of a delay are we talking? I shoot a Thompson Hawken with a purcussion cap and pyrodex and there really isn't a delay for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom