Fished up some trout at Pretty Water Lake today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a good time for my first time out there. Lake Sahoma needs some rain pretty bad, although the people at the recreation shop told me crappie were being caught off the non floating dock right there.

I didn't bring any crappie gear though, only trout supplies, so after getting my license I went up to Pretty Water. I don't know how you'd fish up in the creek part without a boat, I just fished on the opposite side of the lake at a little concrete pad. There's not much more than a game trail to get to it, but it was a good spot for fishing. Missed two on the first cast alone, but I caught 3 and missed a few more all on the same piece of bait.

Wind changed directions after that and I never could get them to bite again, so I came home with 3 and now have a nice mess of fish in the fridge soaking!

I don't know what the deal was, I've got one of the old Finland fillet knives that I have filleted over a hundred Missouri trout with no problems, but these three today were tough! I about butchered the first one, and ended up using the electric fillet knife on the other two.

I'm going to try just linking the picture from my facebook, let me know if anyone's not seeing it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31370373&l=4efaa0e6a6&id=1039243048

I'm really looking forward to the LIR get together next month. Trout fishing is my absolute favorite kind, and wading the river for them is when you experience things very few people see. I think if I go back to Pretty Water/Sahoma though, I'll take my canoe so I can do a little more. The barrier weeds make it rough to fish light line, getting hung up on the reel in.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like some pretty good sized trout. Congrats on a good day:D

Thanks Dennis! It was a great day to get out of the house for sure. They're all about 12", hopefully if I take the canoe next time I can find a honey hole with some bigger ones.

Nice trout I went a few weeks ago and did not have any luck.

Thanks Brennan. A guy came in when I was getting my license and said he hadn't seen anyone catch any. No one was fishing the far bank though, and the wind switched just after I got there to where it was blowing against it some. Once I caught these three, the wind switched back towards the parking side and I never got any to bite again. This was just after noon. Normally I can't get a bite between 10 and 2 on Roaring River, but this ain't the river and lake trout act a little different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom