Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I really enjoy fly-fishing too and do a little fly tying but not very good at it at all. We'll need to hook up on a trip sometime.
I'm in! Just have to figure out a time/place/location.

Man I was making jigs and flies and spinners in the 8th grade.
About time you started.

Now get this.
Walk the barbed wire fence line and collect all the hair that critters leave on the barbs.
You can take that and stretch a length of sewing thread out and twist it around the thread and make a yarn that you can twist around the body of the hook.

Dogs hair too long..Oh yea.
Blue healer? yes yes!

You will have a good time with it I guarantee it.
And if you are grounded to your bedroom you can get a lot of jigs/flies made :)
The ball of deer hair left after that bullet passed through a buck this season went into my back pack in a zip lock bag. Those will be special flies.
Meanwhile, that money monster amazon, yes that one, that keeps sucking the dollars from my wallet with shipments of everything from peacock feathers down to rabbit hair and lord knows what else is in those combo bags.
Yes, I could scrounge road kill too, but probably won't have to now.
One regret getting those bucks this season. I was so concerned getting the heads off that I forgot the important part. The Buck tails. Each one can probably make dozens of flys and jigs.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caught a few rainbows this morning in Jenks. Unfortunately, I suck at fileting fish so we didn’t get much outta these guys but will be back soon for more View attachment 327994
Cut off the heads, gut them, scale them and put them in a big foil bag with potatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, butter, garlic and lemon slices to make a hobo dinner. Seal the bag, put it on the grill, campfire or oven at 375 for about 25 minutes per side. Let cool and the steam subside in the bag. It will look like a basketball when taking it out if sealed right.
The skin will come right off leaving all the meat to be enjoyed as you flake it off the bones with a fork.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in! Just have to figure out a time/place/location.
Have you ever fished below Tinkiller - they say down around the Marval campsite area there are some nice holes that hold Stripers and a hoot to catch on a fly-rod. I have never done it but bought an 8-wt set up for it. I wanna do it so bad, I am just too inexperienced.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fished at Marvals when they would let the casual fishers come in for a small fee. A new company bought it and shut that down the last I heard but that was a few years ago.
Depending on the water flows and time of year, the stripers do move up into those areas. Further downstream there is the campground and some roads that lead to holes as well. The stripers use the trout as food.
Don't know if it's ever been beaten but at one time the state record striper was caught below the boat ramp above Gore. Can't remember the weight offhand but it's on the ODW website. Don't think a fly rod could handle a fish like that unless one was in a boat and could follow the fish. There have been huge saltwater fish caught on fly rods but they get into the 8wt and bigger.
I think it was a Comedian back in the day that was very popular who was a saltwater fly fisherman. He caught the world record IGFA Swordfish on a fly. Of course, it took a great boat captain to make that happen.
I'll remember his name later. Heavy set guy and wife that had neighbors who were always in the skit from the 50's?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Jared
1672318023788-png.1161489

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fished at Marvals when they would let the casual fishers come in for a small fee. A new company bought it and shut that down the last I heard but that was a few years ago.
Depending on the water flows and time of year, the stripers do move up into those areas. Further downstream there is the campground and some roads that lead to holes as well. The stripers use the trout as food.
Don't know if it's ever been beaten but at one time the state record striper was caught below the boat ramp above Gore. Can't remember the weight offhand but it's on the ODW website. Don't think a fly rod could handle a fish like that unless one was in a boat and could follow the fish. There have been huge saltwater fish caught on fly rods but they get into the 8wt and bigger.
I think it was a Comedian back in the day that was very popular who was a saltwater fly fisherman. He caught the world record IGFA Swordfish on a fly. Of course, it took a great boat captain to make that happen.
I'll remember his name later. Heavy set guy and wife that had neighbors who were always in the skit from the 50's?
Jackie Gleason?

Latest posts

Top Bottom