Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out on a charter at 5am this morning for a 75 mile run out to some oil platforms and finally 110 miles out in blue water to a drilling ship and some platforms searching for the yellow fin tuna just migrating into the area.

Ended up on the 12 hr charter with 2 tuna at 35 lbs each, two ling cod, one at 36” and the other at 49”, as well as one jack cravell at ten pounds that got turned into cut bait.
One tuna and the jack was my catch. Got to fight several sharks or barracuda that cut our line before we could tell which species. One guy did catch a barracuda on a top water popper that was also used for cut bait.
Unfortunately as I’ve found out today the forum software as well as the software by the company that runs these forums is having a site wide photo posting issue that is being worked on by engineers. I can’t post all the pics I have in this post as they just show up as links. Got two to post , I’ll see if closing this one and opening another to post more might work.
Nope, didn’t work. If you want to look at pics, click on the links.
Edited to add pic links.

IMG_2681.jpeg
IMG_2685.jpeg

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out on a charter at 5am this morning for a 75 mile run out to some oil platforms and finally 110 miles out in blue water to a drilling ship and some platforms searching for the yellow fin tuna just migrating into the area.
View attachment 457217

View attachment 457218

Ended up on the 12 hr charter with 2 tuna at 35 lbs each, two ling cod, one at 36” and the other at 49”, as well as one jack cravell at ten pounds that got turned into cut bait.
One tuna and the jack was my catch. Got to fight several sharks or barracuda that cut our line before we could tell which species. One guy did catch a barracuda on a top water popper that was also used for cut bait.
Unfortunately as I’ve found out today the forum software as well as the software by the company that runs these forums is having a site wide photo posting issue that is being worked on by engineers. I can’t post all the pics I have in this post as they just show up as links. Got two to post , I’ll see if closing this one and opening another to post more might work.
Nice trip Dennis, I see that you are on a Freeman and made it to blue water. Where did you take this charter? Y’all will enjoy the harvest!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s try this again.
Went to Perdido pass sea wall this afternoon as reports of bull redfish are coming in.
The pass is where Mobile bay empties into the Gulf at low tide and gets refilled at high tide. About 1.5’ either way. Pretty swift waters but it funnels fish.
Buddy and I caught a couple small saltwater catfish and one small puppy drum that will be cut bait on future trips.

IMG_2693.jpeg

Pictured is my beach/pier buggy.

Also updated previous pics of the charter since pics are working again.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! What are the other 2 fish?
Ling Cod. Typically caught around drilling rigs and ships moored outside of Mobile Bay waiting for a berth to empty so they can unload their containers. About 11 miles offshore. They may have to wait up to two weeks as a pilot also has be assigned to direct the ship into the bay. It's not very deep in places so the ships have to travel through a dredged channel to the harbor in Mobile.
Ling love shady areas and are at the top of most prized fish to catch and eat. New federal regulations say only two per boat now, vs last year when it was two per person.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Video of the boat I were on that earlier on caught a tuna within 3 lbs of the state record in Alabama that is 104 just a couple of days before I boarded. The tuna weighed 201 lbs.

Boat owner is on the left in the start of the video in the yellow beanie.
Owns a dozen restaurants and other businesses.
He was on our charter. Heck of a nice guy.
Pic of the tuna on board has a guy on the left helping to hold it up. He was on our charter.
Owns a marble/Granite business in Mobile.
Goes on every charter. It’s his passion to fish.
Said he trades his fish for venison.
We had a ton of fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom