Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally went after some catfish this morning. Filled up a basket using dip bait. They were right on bank in the rocks. Perfect weather today!
8f294c08b4908b07382d34388648844f.jpg

eaa92020087f3f50c14db7f9a747b460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been on this site for a while now and never participated in the fishing related threads, and I’ve discovered something. Some of y’all appear to be much more prosperous at fishing than deer hunting.:blush::rollingla
There’s just so many other things to do in springtime. I have to make a preplanned decision to fish more this year or that year. I have in the last few years but really dropped the ball this year. One of my overflow pipes is clogged at one of the ponds. It’s a good crappie pond but now I can’t get past the weedline. Going to have to get out there in a mini boat and run something down it.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One can always add on an outrigger float or something if tipping over is a big issue.

What are the dimensions & specs of yours Dennis? How is the stability?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One can always add on an outrigger float or something if tipping over is a big issue.

What are the dimensions & specs of yours Dennis? How is the stability?
Mine is 12' long, sit on top Pelican 120 fisherman with two enclosed storage compartments and a bungee cord open storage in the rear. Its been discontinued at the factory which is why I got such a good closeout deal on it.
As I've been reading, the majority of fishing kayaks are sit on top. Some have a foot controlled rudder, mine is built to add one but personally I've never used a rudder even when available prefering to use the paddle. I can see where a rudder would be beneficial to most with the Oklahoma winds. One can keep paddling while directing the kayak where you want it to go.
Stability on mine is rated a 3.2 out of 4. There are some better and some worse.
The seat is a critical issue as well. One that is padded and adjustable is far better than a molded plastic butt bucket. Some of the "hammock" style seem to get good reviews as well although they don't last as long if left outdoors in the sunlight.
The paddle is also a critical issue. You can spend just about as much money on a paddle as a yak. Some of the carbon fiber models can run up to $400. They weigh about 14 oz. Fiberglass paddles like mine are around 23 oz and are less than $100. If you watch the big box stores like Academy or BP in the fall when they have clearance you can pick up a fiberglass for $50 or less. Some of the cheap paddles will weigh up to 36 oz.
If you think about it, a lighter paddle is going to make for a better day because your swinging less weight. It makes a difference at the end of the day.
If your buying for farm ponds and small bodies of water, just about anything will work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom