Fix it up, or get rid of it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I recently have had a free car land in my lap. There’s two major issues with it though. It has been smoked in heavily, and it’s lived next to the ocean the past 10 years. There’s some pretty bad rust cancer on the lower edges of the sheet metal. I was planning on gutting the interior, cleaning it up, and replacing the carpet with new, cleaning and replacing the headliner, and finding some seats from pull a part.

my question is, should I learn how to do body work and repair the rust before selling, chop off the rust/sand and primer to prevent further rust, or just leave as is and sell it? Here’s one of the rust spots. There’s three similar spots as well as some bad surface rust on the roof.

I figured my end goal is to sell it and either pocket the cash, or use the cash to buy a little 90s Honda Civic or something to tinker with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 156

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Detail the heck out of it drive the wheels off. There are some pretty good products for removing the smoke odor. The aerosol can has a locking button on the top like a bug bomb. Put ac on high and set it off. It circulated through the system and coats the ac vents/ducts etc. had pretty good luck with it when we sold the MIL’s car

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, that will kill about any smell, mold, mildew, virus, bacteria, etc.

Just be sure to vent it for a while after using it. Ozone is a little irritating to humans.

I let it run in the wife’s car for a while when my daughter spilled milk and didn’t tell anyone. It removed the spoiled milk smell.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smoke smell also resides on every plastic surface so those alll need washed down with soapy water or vinegar water.
I had a detail shop once remove a smoke smell as well as get it looking show room new. Best $125 I ever spent and someone else delt with it instead of me.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, that will kill about any smell, mold, mildew, virus, bacteria, etc.

Just be sure to vent it for a while after using it. Ozone is a little irritating to humans.

I let it run in the wife’s car for a while when my daughter spilled milk and didn’t tell anyone. It removed the spoiled milk smell.
It works. I still have a home unit around here somewhere that I used for years but I never replaced a broken part on it.

I tell people all the time to use ozone to neutralize bad odors and they just look at me funny. Just happened at work last week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom