Flashing Your Headlights To Warn Other Drivers: Free Speech OR Justified Ticket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about flashing your lights to alert other drivers for a safe lane change? When all lanes are filled and people are getting on the highway, I always flash my lights to let them know I'm slowing down to allow them on.

Is that against the law?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are people even being caught for this? I just flash my high beams, not turn lights on and off. If I just passed the cop he has no clue what my headlights are doing?!?

Just flash your beams!

From the article it sounds like the state is doing the right thing and has dismissed any tickets that were fought but what makes me mad about this is if I have a job where I get paid $15/hr and it takes me an hour to get to the courthouse, hour of being there (get there early, court is always running behind, have my hearing, etc), then an hour home am I going to be paid for the money I should have been making at work? Nope, but guess what, that officer (at least in PA where I used to live) gets time and a half for being in court.

I think if I am found to be right/innocent I should be compensated for money lost, fuel to drive to the courthouse, lawyer if one is needed, etc. I know some here will say "Well that's going a little far", and I would agree, but I think that is what it would take to make the courts and Police more aware of what they were actually dragging people into court for. With crap like this case seeming more and more common I feel like we are shifting towards living in a police state where our rights are infringed upon just a little more everyday so when we look back ten years from now we will think "I remember when this actually used to feel like a free country."

Even if you win, you still lose.

Last edited:

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought flashing your brights were telling the other persons their bright lights were on

And turning lights on/off was speed trap ahead

TRAINr

Marksman
Reaction score
If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have to worry. Isn't that the line?

I'd say that just about every truck driver would be guilty as they do this as a courtesy for one another to indicate that it's clear to come back into the slow lane after passing.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have to worry. Isn't that the line?

I'd say that just about every truck driver would be guilty as they do this as a courtesy for one another to indicate that it's clear to come back into the slow lane after passing.
Truckers have been doing this for years.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was recently pulled over by a deputy sheriff for flashing my brights at him. I didn't know it was an LEO. I flashed him to warn him of several deer mulling around on the side of the road. After i told him what was up he gave me a "have a nice day" and was back on the road.

Hucksaw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My lights are on automatically once it gets dark. I am supposed to be able to leave the emergency brake on just one click and be able to turn the lights on and off but I just can not drive around knowing my brake is on even if not engaged. All I can do is flash my brights and hope they get the message and not pissed....especially if it is a car full of gangstas...:gun2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom