Flashing Your Headlights To Warn Other Drivers: Free Speech OR Justified Ticket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I flash my lights every time I see one of my local cops "enforcing speed". Because they write a ridiculous amount of tickets for minor speed violations 24/7 and it's nothing but revenue generation at its sickest.

I don't flash when I see an OHP, because from my experience, if you get pulled by the OHP you probably deserve it. And even then you're likely just to get a warning and a thank you.

I'd say that just about every truck driver would be guilty as they do this as a courtesy for one another to indicate that it's clear to come back into the slow lane after passing.

I do this as a courtesy for truckers signaling to make a lane change in front of me. They are so used to people passing them on the right while they are signaling they appreciate it. I'll always go out of my way to "block" for a trucker so he can get over/merge. People cut them no slack. They almost always give the taillight thank you.

If I'm on a 2 lane and want to pass a truck, I get over a bit and flash my lights so he knows I'm coming alongside him. Especially in windy, high speed 2 lanes like BFE Kansas where trucks understandably drift a bit with the gusts. They will slow down a bit and stay right to make your pass easier.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I flash my lights every time I see one of my local cops "enforcing speed". Because they write a ridiculous amount of tickets for minor speed violations 24/7 and it's nothing but revenue generation at its sickest.

How do you know its just minor speed violations? Do you ride with your local law enforcement? I bet not. Probably being naive like most. Not meaning that disrespectfully. You would be AMAZED at how many officer's reduce the speed for tickets, and give warnings for all types of violations. I challenge people to ride with local law enforcement and see just what they do on a day to day basis. What they have to endure, then get on here and talk crap.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.... I challenge people to ride with local law enforcement and see just what they do on a day to day basis. What they have to endure, then get on here and talk crap.
At the risk of derailing the thread, how does one go about arranging that?
I'm interested and always wondered how to arrange that.

Warhatchet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the quote in the story
"Capt. Mark Welch, a spokesman for the FHP, cited a law that says “flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles” except for turn signals." This does not appear the pertain to flashing your headlights as they are not designed to be 'flashing lighs'

Just my opinion

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the risk of derailing the thread, how does one go about arranging that?
I'm interested and always wondered how to arrange that.

Just go to your local law enforcement (or call first) and ask if they even have the program.....if so, fill out the release form and have fun.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you know its just minor speed violations? Do you ride with your local law enforcement? I bet not. Probably being naive like most. Not meaning that disrespectfully. You would be AMAZED at how many officer's reduce the speed for tickets, and give warnings for all types of violations. I challenge people to ride with local law enforcement and see just what they do on a day to day basis. What they have to endure, then get on here and talk crap.
Warnings aren't always given and professional courtesy seems to be a thing of the past ... oh! just reminiscing lol..

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the quote in the story
"Capt. Mark Welch, a spokesman for the FHP, cited a law that says “flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles” except for turn signals." This does not appear the pertain to flashing your headlights as they are not designed to be 'flashing lighs'

Just my opinion

In my opinion, their interpretation of the law is jacked up for one. Second, the legislature SHOULD clarify that law if it is such a big deal. Also their supervisors and such should come out with a memo stating those citations are getting kicked out for the misinterpretation and they should stop writing those citations. I think a lawsuit is chicken **** and RIDICULOUS! People sue if you fart in public.

Latest posts

Top Bottom