Flashlight advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My agency just bought us all a Surefire G2X LE and I'm kinda disappointed with it. :disappoin

At 400 lumens, it's just barely a touch brighter than my 320 lumen G2X Tactical, and it has a greenish tint to it. My G2X Tactical has the most natural tint of any LED I've ever owned.

I do like the 15 lumen low feature, however.

And Surefire got it right this time. They put the high beam up first, then release and touch again within a second or two and you get the low setting. In most all of their other models, you get the low first and THEN the high.

When I need bright light in a hurry, I want it the instant I hit the switch.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My agency just bought us all a Surefire G2X LE and I'm kinda disappointed with it. :disappoin

At 400 lumens, it's just barely a touch brighter than my 320 lumen G2X Tactical, and it has a greenish tint to it. My G2X Tactical has the most natural tint of any LED I've ever owned.

I do like the 15 lumen low feature, however.

And Surefire got it right this time. They put the high beam up first, then release and touch again within a second or two and you get the low setting. In most all of their other models, you get the low first and THEN the high.

When I need bright light in a hurry, I want it the instant I hit the switch.

I feel the same way, bright or strobe first, then low. My Surefire G2 and 6P both have a blue tint, supposedly same lamp assembly but both have noticeable different tint. I'm about to upgrade them.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Streamlight rechargeables, is the only ones for me. figured out the whole rechargeable angle when my kids got old enough to press a button, after spending about 6 trillion on batteries (slow learner and stubborn) I went to the rechargeables.(great occupier at times) Ive got 4-5 my kids are old enough now but still need a flashlight from time to time. Might be alittle spendy initially but well worth the investment in the long run. Plus you don't have to go spend $$ on batteries every so often.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the ZebraLights with the neutral white LED. I personally like it much better than the cool white (blue) LED that most flashlights have. Zebralights also have, in my opinion, the best user interface, letting you go from starlight, to REALLY REALLY bright.

I would recommend something that takes the 18650 battery such as the SC600mkii or SC62w

http://www.zebralight.com/Flashlight_c_8.html

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Streamlight rechargeables, is the only ones for me. figured out the whole rechargeable angle when my kids got old enough to press a button, after spending about 6 trillion on batteries (slow learner and stubborn) I went to the rechargeables.(great occupier at times) Ive got 4-5 my kids are old enough now but still need a flashlight from time to time. Might be alittle spendy initially but well worth the investment in the long run. Plus you don't have to go spend $$ on batteries every so often.

Until your rechargeable takes a **** on you when you're about a half mile from your cruiser out in the middle of the woods looking for a murder suspect.

Yeah, my Streamlight Ultra Stinger did that to me one night. I was dead in the water. I learned of the Surefire brand shortly after that. I bought a 6P, tossed the Streamlight and never looked back.

The lithium batts that Surefires run on will last longer than you think if you use them properly and you can buy 'em by the dozen for a little over 20 bucks from Amazon and other places.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Until your rechargeable takes a **** on you when you're about a half mile from your cruiser out in the middle of the woods looking for a murder suspect.

Yeah, my Streamlight Ultra Stinger did that to me one night. I was dead in the water. I learned of the Surefire brand shortly after that. I bought a 6P, tossed the Streamlight and never looked back.

The lithium batts that Surefires run on will last longer than you think if you use them properly and you can buy 'em by the dozen for a little over 20 bucks from Amazon and other places.

Thankfully I lowest of the low I have to deal with are heathen children 6/8 yr olds. I'm unaware if the OP will be using for duty or general usage as "round" the house type stuff?

Latest posts

Top Bottom