Flathead fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went flathead fishing this morning in a creek that runs into cimarron river. The the first pic is of main part of creek which is running very strong. The second pic is where I was fishing in the slack water.It was maybe 2' deep. Using bluegill
for bait I caught 4 flats 2 were around 5 or 6 lbs and 2 were around 12 lbs. I kept one of the 12 lbs for a crisco bath. Game warden stopped by to visit and check lic. He told me there was some new changes. He said you can noodle and keep blues & channels now. and 1 fish over 30". I ask him if that was for rod & reel also he said he didn't know for sure lol.He couldn't believe I was catching flats in 2' of water.I said that's where the bait fish are so that's where the flats are going to be.When I clean that flat he had 2 bullheads in him about 6" long.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good job!

We didn't make it out this weekend, but last weekend my wife and I caught 2 flats and 4 channel cat in about 1-4 ft of water. Funny part is, we were fishing for bass with crankbaits! LOL

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. I used to hit a local creek hard for flatheads, but then the water would be so low it got slow/boring. I need to get out in the next week or two.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man nice job getting some fish on!
I need to get out and catch something

Little farm pond here by me and I get a lot of the small perch and bullheads from it for fishing bait.
I am stocking up on bait,, got a couple rabbits and squirrel and some chicken guts from a just cleaned broiler.

I suppose I could use a worn or 3.

Latest posts

Top Bottom