Flood insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently FEMA redid their flood maps on April 17 so I got a letter from my mortgage company that said that I was now required to buy flood insurance and that if I didn't, they would buy it for me. Good times. I bought my place a year ago and am still getting used to the extra expense compared to where I was living. I suspect this will sting a bit.

Anyone else get a letter?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure you get contents coverage because it isn't included on most flood insurance policies.

Yeah, I waiting to see what USAA says about all of that when they put the quote together. They are a good company to work with though not always the cheapest. I have my regular homeowners policy with them so they can hopefully just tack on the flood portion.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find cheap flood insurance, let me know. I moved here a year ago from this past November and I'm paying $1,200 a year for flood insurance. That was the cheapest I could find.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find cheap flood insurance, let me know. I moved here a year ago from this past November and I'm paying $1,200 a year for flood insurance. That was the cheapest I could find.

I have this bad feeling that mine will run around that amount. We'll see. I'm in an area of BA that has flooded a few times but the county has done a lot of water-runoff work and I wasn't required to have it at the time I bought the house. I guess I got lucky for a year.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How close are to a cheek or river ? two or three years back when FEMA and the COE redid flood maps ,lots of people(121 st & memorail) got letters saying they NEEDed flood insur . The only problem is the maps were based on a 1000 year flood and sand springs /downtown tulsa would have to been under about 40 feet of water to get to these people.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I added flood onto my policy, even though I'm not in a flood plain. Cost us around $300 a year. Not sure if it covers contents, although I would assume it would.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How close are to a cheek or river ? two or three years back when FEMA and the COE redid flood maps ,lots of people(121 st & memorail) got letters saying they NEEDed flood insur . The only problem is the maps were based on a 1000 year flood and sand springs /downtown tulsa would have to been under about 40 feet of water to get to these people.

I have a creek around 150 yards from the back of the house so I figure they got me. The peace of mind will be nice but I foresee my house payment going up about $100 per month.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors got one, too. There is a small creek behind their house, and the bank on their side is substantially higher than the one on the opposite side. Their house also sits on a bit of a rise, so it would have to be one hell of a lot of water to reach their house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom