Flood insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in a flood zone. Our insurance ws $1200 a year. We got an elevation certificate showing the elevation of the slab of the house. The height of the slab allowed us to carry flood insurance for lesser risk flood zone. The Elevation cert was done by a surveying company and only cost $275 and it dropped our flood insurance to about $350 a year. I am an idit for not having it done in the first 4 years we lived there.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be worse, I got a letter from the INCOG planning r-tards saying that when they have funds available, they are going to buy my house to build a retention pond, for a price they decide. Thanks guys! I've lived here less than a year, have almost twice market value invested in remodeling my house (because I intend to live here a long time) and you're going to force me to move out for pennies on the dollar -- BUT -- you don't even have funds to do so, which means I get to sit in purgatory unable to sell my house that I'm half way through remodeling. Should I bother to finish remodeling, who knows!?! I'm beginning to hate Tulsa.

I really miss being a renter.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living in a floodplain is a bad idea. Period.

Flood insurance is subsidized by the government but should not be. When a bad behavior is subsidized the result is more of the bad behavior. Same as welfare.

For more than four decades, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) has subsidized construction in floodplains in the United States. Although intended to break even and discourage construction in the most flood-prone areas, NFIP has done neither. It writes insurance in many flood-prone areas the private market wouldn’t touch, and it currently owes the U.S. Treasury more than $18 billion. Other taxpayer-funded disaster loans and structural mitigation and erosion control programs further encourage development in floodplains.
http://heartland.org/policy-documents/research-commentary-federal-flood-insurance-subsidies-puget-sound

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this bad feeling that mine will run around that amount. We'll see. I'm in an area of BA that has flooded a few times but the county has done a lot of water-runoff work and I wasn't required to have it at the time I bought the house. I guess I got lucky for a year.

We were actually told that they were working on the stuff and shouldn't have to pay it in a few years... I'm sure that will never happen though.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a rural address, you might have to use another viewer widget they had to find what panel you're on. If I use my address, I apparently live in Canadian County. (Yes, that is using the Clinton zip code.)

Interesting maps...

As for mapping software, mapping isn't easy. They've actually made it a little quicker it by having you only download the sections that you are viewing and zoomed in on, and a lower resolution when zoomed out. But if this is all using GIS data, then they have some other alternatives they *could* be using. It's probably a case of single-eligible-bidder specifications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom