Flood insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My house flooded a couple years ago(still not considered a flood plain though) before I bought it. My insurance is only $294 a year, with contents coverage.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was paying for flood ins. years ago even though I was not in a flood zone area. They were charging me on my escrow acct.

When I called the mortgage company, the zip code they had me in was Florida. I was living in Moore. WTH?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might pay anyone affected to find a set of the new flood maps and spend some time pinpointing where your property is in relation to a flood zone, and, if in a flood zone, which one.

These maps, at least the old ones, are not easy to read and I wouldn't take my mortgage company's word for it.

The maps are probably at the library. Or, at your mortgage company.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ronny said:
It might pay anyone affected to find a set of the new flood maps and spend some time pinpointing where your property is in relation to a flood zone, and, if in a flood zone, which one.

These maps, at least the old ones, are not easy to read and I wouldn't take my mortgage company's word for it.

The maps are probably at the library. Or, at your mortgage company.

I agree and I was trying to look at the new maps online last night. Bad experience. I'm not sure what technology the .gov is using for map viewers but I think that it must be steam powered.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flood insurance is sold on a national level so it doesn't matter what company you purchase from it is all going to be the same assuming they have rated it correctly.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I looked at a paper flood map, but I think you'll need township and range info. You'll need to be able to pinpoint your location. Not necessarily easy.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree and I was trying to look at the new maps online last night. Bad experience. I'm not sure what technology the .gov is using for map viewers but I think that it must be steam powered.

Probably something like this:
nif-1109-17867.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guiding principle here is avoid living in a floodplain.

Flood insurance is subsidized by your tax dollars and is an incentive for people to live in places where they should not. http://heartland.org/policy-documents/research-commentary-federal-flood-insurance-subsidies-puget-sound

Flood insurance is sold on a national level so it doesn't matter what company you purchase from it is all going to be the same assuming they have rated it correctly.

This. Flood insurance is sold by most insurance companies, but they are only the sales outlet of the The National Flood Insurance Program, who is the federal government underwriting insurance on these losses.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also consider having a Land Surveyor prepare an Elevation Certificate for you. Even though you are required to buy flood insurance, an Elevation Certificate might reveal that you are above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) and will result in much cheaper insurance. Often the cost of insurance savings in 1 year will pay for the cost of the Elevation Certificate

You can get a copy of your Flood Map by going HERE and typing in your address. After the map comes up you just have to look around it manually to find your house. Not the best system, but it's FEMA.

Let me know if you need to find a Land Surveyor in Tulsa and I will recommend one for you

Latest posts

Top Bottom