Folding Knife Choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am really looking forward to the show end of next month. Being a guy it’s in my DNA to always want the next, best shiny doodad. My problem is I use my Victorinox Tinker’s various tools throughout the day and while there’s a strong desire to carry a really nice folder I know I wouldn’t forgo the Tinker and don’t think I’d ever use the folder. Also not a big fan of carrying crap I don’t use just to look cool. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yup, that's me. I'm a minimalist through and through. Like I said earlier, a Vic SAK is always on me and I usually carry a Leatherman Skeletool just in case I need a pair of pliers.

In all actuality, I could probably forgo the Victorinox and just carry the Skeletool. I mean, it has everything I need and nothing that I don’t. IMO it's the absolute perfect EDC mutitool. But I've had a Vic in me pocket since I was a kid. Old habits die hard.

Lately I'm thinking about just picking up a pair of those 4 inch Knipex Cobra pliers for EDC instead. They would be a little thinner in the pocket than the Skeletool. I dunno...too damned many choices out there. :grumble:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Glock 'em down I could see carrying a Leatherman or similar EDC tools like the Knipex but I’m not a farmer/rancher. I do keep a toolkit in every car, truck and boat so wherever I am I’m not far away from the necessary tools to get most pop-up jobs done.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Glock 'em down I could see carrying a Leatherman or similar EDC tools like the Knipex but I’m not a farmer/rancher. I do keep a toolkit in every car, truck and boat so wherever I am I’m not far away from the necessary tools to get most pop-up jobs done.

I carry a pair of pliers because the kids on the college campus I work at are always breaking keys off in their dorm room doors or need a bolt tightened on their bed or something. They just come in handy.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm something of a minimalist myself. Today I was only carrying six knives, a Leatherman Arc, and a Dynamis Alliance Combat Flathead.

I don't really count the Spyderco Copilot that I use for a money clip, the Victorinox Classic on my work keychain, the Gerber Keynote on my car keys, the misnamed little SOG Rapid Edge that keeps ending up in my pocket, or the knife I was carrying to show a guy at work, so I guess it was technically eleven knives, but who's counting?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm something of a minimalist myself. Today I was only carrying six knives, a Leatherman Arc, and a Dynamis Alliance Combat Flathead.

I don't really count the Spyderco Copilot that I use for a money clip, the Victorinox Classic on my work keychain, the Gerber Keynote on my car keys, the misnamed little SOG Rapid Edge that keeps ending up in my pocket, or the knife I was carrying to show a guy at work, so I guess it was technically eleven knives, but who's counting?

200w.gif

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy, I bet you loose 10 pounds just from taking your pants off at night. “Hold on Doc!” “Gotta unload before I get on the scale.”

heh, heh, heh yup, that's what I always do. When the nurse tells me to climb on the scales, I always do a quick pocket dump, and the next to the last thing I put down is my badge. I'll then say something like, "I just wanted you to see this first" and then I'll pull out my Glock 43X from my right front pocket and lay it down with everything else. So far, nobody has panicked.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried being a knife snob, but I just could not fathom the ideology behind it. I'm no metallurgical genius, so I don't know one steel from another. :scratch:

The lazy in me prefers stainless: easy to maintain, no rust (usually) and can take some light abuse. The trade off is, it dulls quickly and is generally a PITA to sharpen and keep sharp.

Some of my favorite brands are (please forgive me) cheap chinese companies such as Civivi, Sencut and the budget line from Spyderco (Tenacious family - NOT the Byrd models).

Of course, day in/day out, if I'm vertical, you're gonna find a Victorinox (or two ;)) in me pocket. The Alox scale Cadet and Farmer are me favorites and they travel with me every where I may roam.
I like Civivi, CRJB, Kubey and Kiser as well. They all have some reasonable priced knives. For a while Kubey (may still be ongoing) had a great sale on their D2 bladed knives.

I just bought two Victorinox Tinkers for my kids first knives.

David