Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks really good. IIRC you didn't find a tractor and disk, you used a walk behind tiller? That looks dang good either way, but you worked your tail off if you didn't have a tractor.
White flowers, tough to tell on my phone. Maybe next time pull a plant so it is easy to see just the leaves of that plant. Somebody will be able to tell you from your pics anyway. I will guess some type of rape. (Similar to a canola) Looks like the flowers are not beans to me. They are small clusters on top if I see it correctly.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ended up buying a 17hp diesel tractor with 4 foot tiller and brush hog for $2k.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_06_14_ea76b9559f1536c8fd2691edf4aabee5.jpg

There is buckwheat in that mix so I bet that is what it is. I just googled it and that's what it is. Deer are mainly on the alfalfa and mineral licks. I never tested ph so I guess I should put some good fertilizer on it just in case. I'll probably mow the alfalfa next month. I plan to till up the redzone mix in August and plant bfo and wheat. Depending on how the deer hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally had time to till my west field and get all the BFO stubble turned under, I have moisture approx. 1" underground and the Chinese red cowpeas should germinate quickly. I had to till twice, drag a cattle panel, then top off with the cultipacker. Tomorrow I will spray a gallon of liquid fertilizer designed for legumes and wait for the seeds to pop. I planted around 30#/acre. First fawn of the year walked past me this evening when I was planting okra. It was intent on finding its momma. My does spend most of the day eating clover in the back yard. I am speculating that I have maybe 4 fawns this year. It will not be long before mom will have her speckled butt eating along side her. I look forward to this time every year.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The speckled butts are on parade with their Momma's eating clover. The cowpeas are up and the does are figuring out what they are. If people are wanting Buck Forage Oats this fall for their plantings then I will be ordering in approx. 30 days. Let me know if you are interested.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked my plots this past weekend. My alfalfa is looking good. I plan on tilling my buckwheat on the 16th and planting some bfo. Actually got a new place and I'm going to plant some wheat and radishes on it. Have to cross 2 creeks to get to it so I'm gonna buy an atv disc to do it. Anybody have have a recommendation on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom